Author Topic: Agreed - Banning Trump an assault on democracy and free speech.  (Read 9702 times)

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Agreed - Banning Trump an assault on democracy and free speech.
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 07:10:40 PM »
Might is not right. Period.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 02:22:56 PM »
Might is not right. Period.

And yet this law is predicated on that idea.  That Trump is too important to be subject to the same rules as the rest of us.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 12:15:36 PM »
Pundit conflates his ideals (shoulds) with reality. US law was really meant to give private business and capitalism as much freedom as possible to attract investment.

The other thing: social and mainstream are overwhelmingly liberal/left-leaning - so regulation is ideologically split left vs right same as the the 2nd amendment on gun control.

Now dogmatic liberals like bitmask and MOON Ki will happily recite the rigid law to you. Completely dismissing any need for regulation with false equivalencies ati Facebook vs Nipate. In truth, this is just open bias: you see the overwhelming mass of (social) media channels are leftist and this is really their motivation not any sound objections to freedom. Particularly because their dear fringe groups such as minorities, LGBT, etc are already selectively protected, so "who" needs freedom of speech? Do such a thing in Kenya against their preferred political faction and you will not hear the end of it. Liberals are rather hypocritical.

Of course in Europe, Australia, - these entitled Facebook, Google, etc have been straightened by heavy penalties for spreading their bad manners there. Anti-trust, anti-competitive, whatnot. The right to be forgotten started in the EU.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 03:54:29 PM »
Yes, Trump is ex-POTUS and a leader of rethugs - he represent rethugs - and for democracy to work - he need to be allowed to speak on behalf of the rethugs. I really don't care if you ban me - I will open another account - but there are people too important to be ban - without assaulting multiparty democracy.
That Trump is too important to be subject to the same rules as the rest of us.

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 03:59:18 PM »
I'm with Pundit on this one. Bernie Sanders also said in February in n interview that he, too, was very uncomfortable with the idea of the then POTUS being banned, as did Merkel and several other leaders in the democracy-believing EU. In 2021, social media big boys like Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter are not just someone's private website: they are the new public square. Being banned there is effectively being shut out of public discourse. If we look beyond Trump, we will realize there needs to be some regulation. I'm not sure what it would/should look like but it needs to at least appear fair in its results.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »
It's shocking that they banned Trump from their 14 character platform while he had access to nuclear codes. Democracy is about symbolism. You ban Trump - you're banning the millions of people who voted and believed in him. You are almost banning half the country. When Brits wanted to end the Nandi resistance - they killed Koitatelel -and it was effective.

It appears Facebook and the likes are leftist media trying to muzzle the ultra-right-wing.

Nobody is right - far-right/ultra-right like Trump - even if they are closet racist and name it - deserve a platform to share their ideas.

I'm with Pundit on this one. Bernie Sanders also said in February in n interview that he, too, was very uncomfortable with the idea of the then POTUS being banned, as did Merkel and several other leaders in the democracy-believing EU. In 2021, social media big boys like Facebook, Youtube, and Twitter are not just someone's private website: they are the new public square. Being banned there is effectively being shut out of public discourse. If we look beyond Trump, we will realize there needs to be some regulation. I'm not sure what it would/should look like but it needs to at least appear fair in its results.

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 04:23:57 PM »
Yes, Trump is ex-POTUS and a leader of rethugs - he represent rethugs - and for democracy to work - he need to be allowed to speak on behalf of the rethugs. I really don't care if you ban me - I will open another account - but there are people too important to be ban - without assaulting multiparty democracy.
That Trump is too important to be subject to the same rules as the rest of us.

I see where we part ways, given that Trump, as President already had the bully pulpit of the Oval Office where he could convene media events at the snap of a finger.  Part of twitter's and other social media platforms' appeal is their quasi-egalitarian nature.  A nondescript character can get into a scrap with Trump and vice-versa.  When you start giving special treatment to Trump(which they did for years), you diminish that appeal.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »
Pundit conflates his ideals (shoulds) with reality. US law was really meant to give private business and capitalism as much freedom as possible to attract investment.

The other thing: social and mainstream are overwhelmingly liberal/left-leaning - so regulation is ideologically split left vs right same as the the 2nd amendment on gun control.

Now dogmatic liberals like bitmask and MOON Ki will happily recite the rigid law to you. Completely dismissing any need for regulation with false equivalencies ati Facebook vs Nipate. In truth, this is just open bias: you see the overwhelming mass of (social) media channels are leftist and this is really their motivation not any sound objections to freedom. Particularly because their dear fringe groups such as minorities, LGBT, etc are already selectively protected, so "who" needs freedom of speech? Do such a thing in Kenya against their preferred political faction and you will not hear the end of it. Liberals are rather hypocritical.

Of course in Europe, Australia, - these entitled Facebook, Google, etc have been straightened by heavy penalties for spreading their bad manners there. Anti-trust, anti-competitive, whatnot. The right to be forgotten started in the EU.

While not a dogmatic liberal I will happily recite the law where I can.  There is nothing rigid about the First Amendment.  In fact it is possibly the most permissive free speech law on the planet.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2021, 08:19:38 AM »
FarceBook is the newest facilitator of dictatorship worldwide. When netters line MoonKi justify and defend dictatorship online, they should realize that people like Museveni and Buhari are watching very keenly. The only difference between FarceBook/Twitter dictatorship and Museveni dictatorship is bullets and gigabytes.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

• Enigma
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2021, 07:45:45 PM »
Twitter exports their bad manners to Africa

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/world/africa/nigeria-twitter-president.html

There has been some RTLM level shade directed at Igbos recently.  I wonder if that is what was deleted. 

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2021, 08:00:14 PM »
FarceBook is the newest facilitator of dictatorship worldwide. When netters line MoonKi justify and defend dictatorship online, they should realize that people like Museveni and Buhari are watching very keenly. The only difference between FarceBook/Twitter dictatorship and Museveni dictatorship is bullets and gigabytes.

Yup.  Perfect analogy. Twitter and Facebook "principles" are textbook liberalism which they attempt to impose on everyone. Those may work in America but  nowhere else. The bans, hard regulations and heavy fines may eventually push these bullies out of business.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2021, 08:06:25 PM »
Twitter exports their bad manners to Africa

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/05/world/africa/nigeria-twitter-president.html

There has been some RTLM level shade directed at Igbos recently.  I wonder if that is what was deleted.

I imagine it was some vitriol, but that should be dependent on local laws not their policies. It should be rather obvious this wouldn't be tolerated in Africa.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2021, 10:09:54 PM »
Without Civility, there is no Democracy.
Chose one.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2021, 10:13:00 PM »
FarceBook and its twitterated cousins think democracy is only when people line up and vote.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 12:00:45 AM »

Yup.  Perfect analogy. Twitter and Facebook "principles" are textbook liberalism which they attempt to impose on everyone. Those may work in America but  nowhere else. The bans, hard regulations and heavy fines may eventually push these bullies out of business.
Are you OK?
Youre kinda off the chats :(
"Impose on everyone"?
People chose to use tech because its convenient, hence the rules that come with it. You dont ban a platform because your little **CK has been hurt!

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2021, 02:04:21 AM »
Are you OK?
"Impose on everyone"?
People chose to use tech because its convenient, hence the rules that come with it. You dont ban a platform because your little **CK has been hurt!

Na so broda!  :D

It astonishes me the kind of loyalty this oaf commands among some folks. What can social science tell us about it? I understand deplorables in the rust belt acutely aware of white demographic trends latching on to his America white first platform but what is in it for a confused coal black miscreant? It is inexplicable.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 10:04:01 AM »

Are you OK?
"Impose on everyone"?

I doubt that Twitter liberal nutcase Jack Dorsey has any **CK big or little. That is why he thinks his bully pulpit is the sole preserve of "progressives" - whatever that means. Yes Buhari signed a dotted line to join Twitter -- but so did Twitter to operate in Nigeria. Both parties enforced their rules. Honestly that nonsense of banning or deleting a president's tweets can only work in the US - not even in Canada, UK. These buggers been banned or heavily fined all over - EU, Australia, India, Brazil, Russia, Africa, name it. Is it the world or Dorsey that is crazy? - or Robina  :) -- sorry am unsure.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »
Are you OK?
"Impose on everyone"?

Na so broda!  :D

It astonishes me the kind of loyalty this oaf commands among some folks. What can social science tell us about it? I understand deplorables in the rust belt acutely aware of white demographic trends latching on to his America white first platform but what is in it for a confused coal black miscreant? It is inexplicable.

Arcadian Sucker - I would call you pea-brained but that would be unfair to the pea. I always watch the extreme intolerance of liberals like you here - or in many Silicon Valley companies - or in US colleges - such a bunch of haters. I wonder where you get the audacity to point fingers at others? I have also always heard that the Rethugs will soon go stale, senile and extinct... ha! I loathe intolerance - which is what banning a (ex-) POTUS or President Buhari is.