Author Topic: KPLC now defaulting on Kengen and I guess other power producers  (Read 3451 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
This could lead to major problems when power producers turn off their turbines..

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/companies/kenya-power-defaults-sh23-9bn-kengen-bill-3345498

Offline patel

• Enigma
Re: KPLC now defaulting on Kengen and I guess other power producers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 07:27:17 PM »
Let us finish the journey with Uhuruto.  One more year and half unless he seek a third term.

Offline RV Kirgit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 07:59:41 PM »
Another KQ situation loading....

Next is to activate private banks to control stakes in KPLC and kengen through cash injection

Then roll over the debt to government and subsequent mwananchi

dominoes effect taking over.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 08:13:49 PM »
Well this is very bad news ; next will be blackout.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:00:27 PM »
Look like 50% is capacity overcharge..and I don't see that ending soon

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 08:52:44 AM »
What would happen if KPLC filed for bankruptcy protection and wipe out all those onerous contracts? Its not like kengen and IPPs have other customers.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 10:34:27 AM »
Didn't treasury guarantee. I remember Turkana Wind power  signed 30yr gurantee with Treasury. So there is really no escaping this. The excess nearly 1,000MW - is where we need to find solution soon - and this is where we need to electricity SGR - and build electric trains in Nairobi.

That 1,000MW is a lot of forex - that we import as diesel and petrol - that we can easily electrify.

What would happen if KPLC filed for bankruptcy protection and wipe out all those onerous contracts? Its not like kengen and IPPs have other customers.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 02:47:50 PM »
Will not happen in the next 20 years. It is too late. The railway line should have been electrified from day one. Electrifying it now will require a couple of billions in Ksh. Kenya does not have this financial room at the moment and will not come in the near future.
As of electric trains in Nairobi it will take time. Instead of the expressway we should have intensified public transport. The transport planners obsession with roads is a disaster. We need another mindset to change the way things are planned in Kenya.

Didn't treasury guarantee. I remember Turkana Wind power  signed 30yr gurantee with Treasury. So there is really no escaping this. The excess nearly 1,000MW - is where we need to find solution soon - and this is where we need to electricity SGR - and build electric trains in Nairobi.

That 1,000MW is a lot of forex - that we import as diesel and petrol - that we can easily electrify.

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 03:46:35 PM »

I told you a while back we had excess capacity and you kept saying no our growing economy will eat it up. Now see the results.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 06:38:00 PM »
I kept saying it's good problem to have. We just need to find use of that excess power.
I told you a while back we had excess capacity and you kept saying no our growing economy will eat it up. Now see the results.

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 11:22:02 PM »
I kept saying it's good problem to have. We just need to find use of that excess power.

Except its not. Excess inventory and/or capacity are costly to keep up with.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.