Author Topic: Burundi new president was he elected or appointed  (Read 1957 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Burundi new president was he elected or appointed
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:14:23 PM »
I find it fascinating that this news are not even making a byline in Kenya
Burundi is a real banana poor country. I studied burundi and felt mercy on the country
It is will never emerg out of poverty. it seems to be able to be a village frozen in time in East Africa
Even before the british came Burundi King was a poor King. He lived in a hut. His servants some lived under his bed

One fun fact is that there was referee that used to inform members of the kingdom when the king scored an orgasm with his wife

He would ring a bell every time the queen moaned or her beads jiggled

That is some serious comedy of poverty

It is unclear whether Ndayishimiye would be able to rule free from interference by Nkurunziza, who in February was elevated by Parliament to the rank of "supreme guide for patriotism" and will remain chairman of the party's highly influential council of elders.

Burundi has been increasingly isolated since the 2015 election, when eruptions of violence left at least 1,200 dead and saw 400,000 flee the country.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/hold-burundi-election-commission-ndayishimiye-president-200525102926893.html

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Burundi new president was he elected or appointed
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 08:01:03 PM »
In Burundi the Hutu Army is the ruling party. This is accepted to counter Rwanda run by Tutsi Army.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 08:09:57 PM »
In Burundi the Hutu Army is the ruling party. This is accepted to counter Rwanda run by Tutsi Army.

Yes those boozos massacred Tustis completely

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:29 PM »

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 08:25:12 PM »
Rwanda's twin.  They are for all intents and purposes the same ethnic group as Rwanda.  But I am not as familiar with their history as I am with Rwanda.  Though I believe their pre-colonial kingdom was a bit less centralized than Rwanda.

But what has just happened puts them a step ahead of Rwanda.  Rwanda has not had a single peaceful transition of power. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 12:26:24 AM »
Rwanda's twin.  They are for all intents and purposes the same ethnic group as Rwanda.  But I am not as familiar with their history as I am with Rwanda.  Though I believe their pre-colonial kingdom was a bit less centralized than Rwanda.

But what has just happened puts them a step ahead of Rwanda. Rwanda has not had a single peaceful transition of power.

If kagame hands over power to RPF Tutsi colleague will you consider that progress.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 09:46:48 AM »
Elections are quite effective in offering a venting outlet but we should try innovation. For countries like Burundi they can easily have negotiated democracy where a few guys sit and just rubber stamp the strongest guy and then they run around in BBI like rallies for the citizens to dance Ndombolo.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »

But what has just happened puts them a step ahead of Rwanda. Rwanda has not had a single peaceful transition of power.

If kagame hands over power to RPF Tutsi colleague will you consider that progress.

There is a limit to how long minority rule can continue.  Tutsi are a mere 15% of the population.  And no, Kagame will not hand over power to anyone(Tutsi or otherwise).  In fact if you look like you could replace him, you will be killed.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 02:32:53 AM »

There is a limit to how long minority rule can continue.  Tutsi are a mere 15% of the population.  And no, Kagame will not hand over power to anyone(Tutsi or otherwise).  In fact if you look like you could replace him, you will be killed.

I think there are more than 15% now, those were the old figures. Tutsis know if they hand over power they are toast, genocidaires will lurking waiting to finish them off. Democracy can't work in such situations. The only solution is partition, or population exchange  between Rwanda and Burundi.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 03:32:35 AM »

I think there are more than 15% now, those were the old figures. Tutsis know if they hand over power they are toast, genocidaires will lurking waiting to finish them off. Democracy can't work in such situations. The only solution is partition, or population exchange  between Rwanda and Burundi.

Can there be a successful population exchange and which group gets which country? Reading the book the Lived to Tell on Genocide. The woman who wrote it claims that she didn't know she was a tusti until she hit elementary school and there was emergence of interhamwe. The pictured she put out there, I think she was from a upper middle class family, was that of a society that was mixed and that the tribal lines in her own exprience were blurred. I think the differences Pundit pointed out may be more in some regions and not all over Rwanda.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »
yes Hutus should ship to Burundi and vice versa. This is an Israel- Palestine scenario without the power imbalance.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »

Why would Hutus in power in Burundi give it up to accept a new group of people who would potentially challenge their grip on power?  This is a ridiculous suggestion.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 08:00:39 PM »
Yes - there should be population exchange - Tutsi with land in Burundi should exchange with Hutu in Rwanda.
yes Hutus should ship to Burundi and vice versa. This is an Israel- Palestine scenario without the power imbalance.

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 02:55:22 AM »
Why would Hutus in power in Burundi give it up to accept a new group of people who would potentially challenge their grip on power?  This is a ridiculous suggestion.

What do you mean give it up? In a framework for settling the question of Hutu-Tutsi conflict in the great lakes in perpetuity, do you not think Hutu elite in Burundi would jump at the opportunity to be reunited with their diaspora in Rwanda if that meant never having to relinquish or share power with Tutsis. Likewise for the Tutsi leadership. 

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 03:26:53 AM »

What do you mean give it up? In a framework for settling the question of Hutu-Tutsi conflict in the great lakes in perpetuity, do you not think Hutu elite in Burundi would jump at the opportunity to be reunited with their diaspora in Rwanda if that meant never having to relinquish or share power with Tutsis. Likewise for the Tutsi leadership. 

It's not that simple.  Would Luos in Kenya jump at the opportunity to be reunited with their Shilluk brothers in South Sudan?

Even if it's not a crazy idea hypothetically, Hutus in both countries are like 85%.  There is no way they will take a 50/50 split.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 04:36:01 AM »
It's not that simple.  Would Luos in Kenya jump at the opportunity to be reunited with their Shilluk brothers in South Sudan?

Even if it's not a crazy idea hypothetically, Hutus in both countries are like 85%.  There is no way they will take a 50/50 split.

Rwanda and Burundi are very close, South Sudan and Nyanza are far away geographically and culturally. Shilluk are a minority in South Sudan. Not a good analogy. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 split, it would be equitable taking into account population size. Nothing is impossible if the leaders are daring. The status quo is not stable in the long run, vicious power struggle and powder keg.