Author Topic: Gov should consider selling it's shareholding in Safcom.  (Read 1597 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Gov should consider selling it's shareholding in Safcom.
« on: October 02, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
At the current price...35% of it's shareholding is worth more about 200B. That is enough money to build about 4,000kms of road at 50M per km.

Gov has no more business in mature business like Safaricom; it need to divest from such investment and invest the money in infrastructure.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Old-Mutual-on-Safaricom-top-owners-list/-/539550/2471932/-/item/1/-/1375ixi/-/index.html

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Gov should consider selling it's shareholding in Safcom.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
GoK shares are mismanaged at least according to my boys who have the expertise. They recon they could double them in a year and if allowed to cross the borders would make a killing. I have never asked for the details
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »
They should get out of every damn business and stick to providing security. Thats all. When you have govt running businesses they can be politically manipulated so that theres no competition. I dont care whether they make money or not, but stay with security.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 04:02:57 PM »
They should get out of every damn business and stick to providing security. Thats all. When you have govt running businesses they can be politically manipulated so that theres no competition. I dont care whether they make money or not, but stay with security.
You surprise me. Have you had a change of heart? Do you realize the magnitude of your proposal? When I last suggested GoK getting out of Education and Health and assuming the role of regulator and supervisor you opposed strongly. Yet here you are saying exactly that ... unless your proposal has so many exceptions as to cancel the entire idea.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
They can ran companies in infant industries...where gov protection and leverage can be used esp against big multinationals. For instance gov should invest in car manufacturing company...mobius kind of thing...nyayo car...but once the industry has matured....they need to divest from there.