Author Topic: Jumia stock tanks - barely a month since IPO  (Read 752 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Jumia stock tanks - barely a month since IPO
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
Jumia shares sink after Citron calls the African e-commerce company a 'fraud'
Published: May 9, 2019 1:58 p.m. ET

Jumia Technologies AG JMIA, -18.79% shares sank 14.6% in Thursday trading after Citron Research's Andrew Left, a noted short seller, announced in a report that they have the "smoking gun" that shows why Jumia equity is "worthless." "In 18 years of publishing, Citron has never seen such an obvious fraud as Jumia," the report said. Citron goes on to highlight what it calls "material discrepancies" between the confidential investor presentation from October 2018 and what the company told the Securities Exchange Commission, including: inflating active customer and active merchant numbers by 20% to 30%; and that 41% of orders were returned, not delivered or canceled. "When a company markets to investors ahead of its IPO and then a few months later omits material facts and makes material changes to its key financial metrics to make the business seem viable, this is securities fraud," the report says. Citron also references media from Nigeria, Jumia's biggest market, accusing Jumia of fraudulent activity. Jumia shares began trading on April 12, and soared 160% as of early this week. Shares were priced at $14.50.

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Jumia stock tanks - barely a month since IPO
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:45:31 AM »
Returns and cancellation is a major problem. I am vendor on the platform and sometimes we have make sure Jumia calls the customer to confirm orders. Also Jumia needs to scrub sellers list, there are many duplicate accounts.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Jumia stock tanks - barely a month since IPO
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:14:37 AM »
Jumia faces class action for unspecified amounts in damages - see attachment

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527