Author Topic: Ken Okoth  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Ken Okoth
« on: March 25, 2019, 11:34:08 AM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Ken Okoth
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 11:50:16 AM »
HIV - and maybe Aflotoxin.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »
Stop being stupid and have at least empathy for the man even if he is not Kalejin.

HIV - and maybe Aflotoxin.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »
I was answering the epidemic part. I don't know the medical history of Ken Okoth - who I find to be a very nice man -  an excellent humanbeing - who is doing something about Kibera - something Raila never could do.
Stop being stupid and have at least empathy for the man even if he is not Kalejin.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
For kadudu sake - aging is of course well know factor - and HIV is also now well know factor - for inducing primary and secondary cancers.

As HIV people live longer with help of ART; expect to see more cancers.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/902606?src=wnl_edit_tpal&uac=217856CJ&impID=1754575&faf=1
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People living with HIV are at sharply increased risk of several types of first and second primary cancers compared with the general population, new findings show.

"This is something that we're likely going to see more of as people with HIV are living longer, they're getting older, and this is something we really need to pay attention to into the future," Dr. Nancy A. Hessol, a professor of clinical pharmacy and medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, told Reuters Health by phone.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 12:45:55 PM »
I cannot remember during Raila's time as MP of Kibera there being anything equivalent of today's CDF or did you want him to finance everything from his pocket?

Btw, CDF or whatever is called today is illegal. The High Court of Kenya determined it so and only the current government ignored the court order.

Now to colon cancer. This is mainly caused by modern day diet. At satge 4 one has only minimum chances of surving the next 12 months.

I was answering the epidemic part. I don't know the medical history of Ken Okoth - who I find to be a very nice man -  an excellent humanbeing - who is doing something about Kibera - something Raila never could do.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
Raila was PM and Kibera/Langata MP. It cannot get any better than that. Jubilee are only gov to have done something worthwhile before corruption took the NYS project over. Raila was MP in 2003-2007 when CDF was enacted.CDF was rectified by MPS - and it was renamed NG-CDF - and now only deals with national projects or functions. It was cured of it's illegalities.

Ken Okoth has done well for Langata. That you want to argue about is beyond me. Raila is well known for not being development conscious.

As for cancer....yes lifestyle is an issue....but most kenya are not in that lifestyle era yet....its basically down to aging, possibly aflotoxin and HIV for me.

I cannot remember during Raila's time as MP of Kibera there being anything equivalent of today's CDF or did you want him to finance everything from his pocket?

Btw, CDF or whatever is called today is illegal. The High Court of Kenya determined it so and only the current government ignored the court order.

Now to colon cancer. This is mainly caused by modern day diet. At satge 4 one has only minimum chances of surving the next 12 months.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Pundit, even in the Western world where HIV plays a minimal role the cases of cancer are increasing. Of course an aging society tends to have an increase in cancer cases, but peging it mainly to HIV is being a bit blind. Even the poor in Kenyan cities are breathing the fumes from vehicles, are consuming processed food like maizemeal, mbogas from intoxicated fields etc. being poor does not mean you live automatically a healthy life.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 01:49:44 PM »
But most kenyans are poor and rural. And they are dying from cancers. It can only mean food has aflotoxin (not some fancy ingredient but old fungi from bad storage), HIV is also big factor and of course aging. I will put lifestyle 4th - smoking, alcohol and such.

Nobody really dies from HIV - they die from TB/Cancer/etc

Pundit, even in the Western world where HIV plays a minimal role the cases of cancer are increasing. Of course an aging society tends to have an increase in cancer cases, but peging it mainly to HIV is being a bit blind. Even the poor in Kenyan cities are breathing the fumes from vehicles, are consuming processed food like maizemeal, mbogas from intoxicated fields etc. being poor does not mean you live automatically a healthy life.

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
Aflatoxin angle is disturbing.  Especially when it comes to food storage.  In a country with those levels of corruption, inspections and maintaining of standards can be a nighmare.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »
Quite scary. Was wondering why old women who have not consumed much processed foods are dying wailing out of cancer pains.
How are people exposed to aflatoxins?
People can be exposed to aflatoxins by eating contaminated plant products (such as peanuts) or by consuming meat or dairy products from animals that ate contaminated feed. Farmers and other agricultural workers may be exposed by inhaling dust generated during the handling and processing of contaminated crops and feeds.

Add the corroded water pipes all over our urban slums; cheap liquor from dirty shareable glasses; chips, soda na mkate diet and you are looking at an epidemic blowing up in the next 10-30 years similar to AIDS of late 90s before ARVs.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/aflatoxins
Aflatoxin angle is disturbing.  Especially when it comes to food storage.  In a country with those levels of corruption, inspections and maintaining of standards can be a nighmare.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 05:43:32 PM »

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 06:13:47 PM »
I know for a fact that in RV - cancer of the guts (from the throat to stomach the colon) - have tremendously increased. It the topmost cancer at Eldoret Refferal Hospital. I think Kenyatta has more national outlook of cancer.  They have tried to blame even Mursik - but it appears aflotoxin from buying processed foods - as rural areas - modernize is most likely the problem.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/lifestyle/fitness/Why-oesophagus-cancer-is-common-in-rift-valley/4258372-4304096-563hj1/index.html

It appear also Nairobi has lots of gut cancers.

The Aga Khan pathology lab also records high numbers of patients from Nairobi and its environs with gastric (stomach), colon, breast and cervix cancers.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 06:18:10 PM »
Other causes - Mursik :), Miraa and Hot Tea :)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 06:55:58 AM »
Looks like the only way to avoid cancer is to check out.

Okoth's cancer may be hereditary.

I think population explosion may account for the increased instances. That plus more focus on the disease
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
Cancer is mostly genetic. With Cancat we all should embrace death. We cannot live forever

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 01:28:39 AM »
Looks like the only way to avoid cancer is to check out.

Okoth's cancer may be hereditary.

I think population explosion may account for the increased instances. That plus more focus on the disease

Yabbut not in your early forties.

On a separate note, my Naija doctor recently shared some insight I had not observed.  That the African Negro in a modern setting is suffering a health crisis because his body is adapted to something else.  An environment in which food only appears after substantial physical effort.

But now he does not have to burn as much energy to get substantially more food, but his body hasn't changed.  He still reacts to food the way his ancestors are wired to react.  And the Negro does not visit the doctor unless he is hurting(usually a sign that it's too late).  So we are getting clobbered by illnesses at a rate that they do not affect bazungu.  I mean Okoth must have gone through cancer stage 1(ignored it), stage 2(ignored it), stage 3(still ignored it), until it was too late.

Even with regular exercise, we need to pay more attention to what we are eating, how much and how often just to avoid getting sick.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2019, 02:46:33 AM »

On a separate note, my Naija doctor recently shared some insight I had not observed.  That the African Negro in a modern setting is suffering a health crisis because his body is adapted to something else.  An environment in which food only appears after substantial physical effort.

But now he does not have to burn as much energy to get substantially more food, but his body hasn't changed.  He still reacts to food the way his ancestors are wired to react.  And the Negro does not visit the doctor unless he is hurting(usually a sign that it's too late).  So we are getting clobbered by illnesses at a rate that they do not affect bazungu.  I mean Okoth must have gone through cancer stage 1(ignored it), stage 2(ignored it), stage 3(still ignored it), until it was too late.

Even with regular exercise, we need to pay more attention to what we are eating, how much and how often just to avoid getting sick.

?; A sample from back in the roots indicates otherwise. You have casual laborers - mjengo crew the trek to work variety - in the ward.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2019, 04:26:11 AM »

?; A sample from back in the roots indicates otherwise. You have casual laborers - mjengo crew the trek to work variety - in the ward.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 04:42:11 AM »

Indeed yes I imagine most of the roadside servings are from unsavory sources. That's probably it -  at least a big cause - plantations can siphon deadly ions off the reek from sewer, industrial waste, etc.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527