Author Topic: Parliamentary systems very unpopular  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Parliamentary systems very unpopular
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 07:59:50 PM »
You're wrong. Raila & ODM wanted hybrid, 3tier system - which was the Bomas Draft. Ruto teamed up with PNU to impose pure presidential and 47 counties in place of 16 regions led by governors with towns lead by mayors. They also screwed us women by deleting the nominated gender quota. Raila went No so as not to lose his "reform" credentials - because PNU+Ruto would have beat him at the referendum. This made Ruto go No - against essentially his and Uhuru's draft - to isolate RV from Raila's grip. The present katiba - and 2tier devolution - is a UhuRuto product.

omollo, i am sure there is some hansard of the proceedings at Naivasha. What I recall is Raila(ODM) and Martha Karua going presidential - in a 360 degrees that baffled everyone.The two Rutos I think backed a mixed presidential systems. That is why Ruto and Kalenjin voted NO. Obviously whatever system - you beat in place - doesn't mean it's tailored made for you. That was Raila fault. And still is. The problem is not constitution. The problem is how to WIN POWER. It doesn't matter what system is called....the best will emerge.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 08:29:57 PM »
The teams were only two

1. Presidential + diluted 2tier - PNU (Uhuru, Karu), Safina (Abdikadir), Wiper (Mutula Kilonzo Sr) and Ruto ODM rebels

2. Bomas hybrid + 3tier - ODM (Madvd, Ababu,  etc), Ford-K (Weta)

The PSC 26 members - ODM 13 PNU 13. Ruto & Isaac rebelled against ODM and tilted the scales.

Was Karua representing PNU which included Uhuru by any chance?
Quote from: Pundit
Fact is COE recommended Hybdrid system. ODM proposed pure presidential system - and was seconded by Karua - who was also in the anti-Ruto-Uhuru-Kalonzo team.

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 08:45:51 PM »
MPs strike deal on system of governance
22nd Jan 2010 00:00:00 GMT +0300

The motion to adopt the presidential system was moved by an ODM minister who convinced the team the US had succeeded through the presidential system.

Under the system agreed, the president would not be a Member of Parliament and the Cabinet, too, will be appointed from outside Parliament, as in the US.

Any MP who is appointed to the Cabinet will relinquish his seat because one cannot be a member of two branches of government. It was agreed the Legislature would be independent for MPs could check the Executive.

Some of the other checks and balances on the Executive include the president seeking approval of Parliament for Cabinet appointments and those of holders of senior public offices as well as judges.

The president would be Head of State and Government and would thus have the powers to appoint and dismiss the Cabinet. As Head of State, he or she would be Commander-in-Chief of Armed Forces and would preside over State functions.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/business/article/2000001484/mps-strike-deal-on-system-of-governance/?pageNo=3