Author Topic: On Panspermia...  (Read 20217 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
On Panspermia...
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:51:56 PM »
Do you believe it? I mean to think oneday Earth could blow up and bits of living material shoot out into space like asteroids, colliding into other planets, tainting it with Earth's DNA, makes me wonder if Earth was also hit with living organisms from other planets. My speculation Panspermia related ends there though...

Panspermia (from Greek ??? (pan), meaning "all", and ?????? (sperma), meaning "seed") is the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets,[1][2] planetoids,[3] and also by spacecraft, in the form of unintended contamination by microbes.[4][5]

Panspermia is the proposal that microscopic life forms that can survive the effects of space, such as extremophiles, become trapped in debris that is ejected into space after collisions between planets and small Solar System bodies that harbor life. Some organisms may travel dormant for an extended amount of time before colliding randomly with other planets or intermingling with protoplanetary disks. If met with ideal conditions on a new planet's surfaces, the organisms become active and the process of evolution begins. Panspermia is not meant to address how life began, just the method that may cause its distribution in the Universe.[6][7][8]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia#Lithopanspermia

Directed panspermia concerns the deliberate transport of microorganisms in space, sent to Earth to start life here, or sent from Earth to seed new solar systems with life by introduced species of microorganisms on lifeless planets. The Nobel prize winner Francis Crick, along with Leslie Orgel proposed that life may have been purposely spread by an advanced extraterrestrial civilization,[34] but considering an early "RNA world" Crick noted later that life may have originated on Earth.[59] It has been suggested that 'directed' panspermia was proposed in order to counteract various objections, including the argument that microbes would be inactivated by the space environment and cosmic radiation before they could make a chance encounter with Earth.[60]