Author Topic: Bitange Ndemo is getting on my Nerves  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Bitange Ndemo is getting on my Nerves
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Somebody should take him to a school of Social Sciences to learn basics before he bores me to death.

One cannot cook figures and facts like "Rwathia in Murang'a controls 20% of the country's GDP" and get away with it! It is a cardinal offense to make assumptions in such matters because when it comes to social research, assumptions are the enemy. Who thought Kilifi has such a high revenue collection? How about Kisumu?

How can somebody pretending to be a scholar make such a sweeping statement with zero backing? He is an educated rumor monger:

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/ndemo/-/2274486/2461084/-/2eyp5oz/-/index.html
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Bitange Ndemo is getting on my Nerves
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:42:42 PM »
He figured it all that out after reading one book, the Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell.  An interesting, if also poorly researched tome - it relies on anectodes every step of the way. 

The good professor gets an epiphany.  To make interesting statements about the entrepreneurial acumen of the people of Rwatha.  Because of an anecdote about long-lived Italians in Pennsylvania.  It is not clear how he makes the connection.

I think the man uses the Outlier story as a backdrop.  To dignify bar-room banter.  It's not much different from Doctor Masinde insulting one's mother.  And signing off Respectfully at the end.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline George Lamming

• Superstar
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »
Guys: That is true! This Rwathia guys control a lot, including Hospitality industry and Banking....read Equity etc. These are visionaries. When I was last in Jamhuri, I visited a site in lake Naivasha with one of the.....dusty place....In less than 9 months later, It was 5 start hotel. Omollo/Termie, this Rwathia Brothers are no joke. Omollo is right, Ndemo might be juicing it up a little....but he has a valid point. 
Malaki 3:16 "Then they that feared the LORD spoke often one to another: and the LORD listened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought on his name."

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:05:34 AM »
20% of GDP; that would be bigger than Mombasa GDP; Maybe he meant 2% of GDP...which is more than entire muranga GDP.

Robina

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:12:20 PM »
He means folks from Rwathia control 20% of Kenya's GDP, not that their investments are all located in Murang'a. That can be true but I doubt it. Guys like Ndemo have to write weekly articles for Nation Digital and that's tough so they clutch on a straw to every story. It must pay really well.

However the issue of some people being performers/successful/having kismat is true. And geographic origin may have something to do with it.