Author Topic: Mexico earthquake: death toll 200  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Mexico earthquake: death toll 200
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:42:35 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/world/americas/mexico-earthquake-death-toll.html
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Mexico earthquake: death toll 200
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:44:57 AM »
Was huge.  I believe California is also overdue for a good whack.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:59:09 AM »
Was huge.  I believe California is also overdue for a good whack.

What?? When was the last whack in California?
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 01:02:33 AM »
And Mexico City is quite far off California and Texas, no?

How come earthquakes don't get fancy names? - Irma, Katrina, Maria, Gonzalo  8)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 01:13:01 AM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »
Mexico city is quite some distance from California but not sure if they sit on the same tectonic plates. Mexico city is densely populated, population around 25 millions souls but very clean, good infrastructure, good public transportation. you have to take a walk down zocalo to la roma, visit historic museums (I would recommend palacio de artes, mainly exbit Picasso and diego Riviera work) and ancient cathedral to appreciate this city.  Nairobi city should borrow a leaf from mexico city. 

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 01:23:32 AM »
Sounds very nice. I should seriously consider it for a vacation, however after this quake is it so good?

Mexico city is quite some distance from California but not sure if they sit on the same tectonic plates. Mexico city is densely populated, population around 25 millions souls but very clean, good infrastructure, good public transportation. you have to take a walk down zocalo to la roma, visit historic museums (I would recommend palacio de artes, mainly exbit Picasso and diego Riviera work) and ancient cathedral to appreciate this city.  Nairobi city should borrow a leaf from mexico city. 

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 01:36:02 AM »
What I find concerning is the warning system. Hurricanes you have weeks to prepare but earthquake you have minutes..............you will fall in love with mexico. the people, the culture and food just amazing but I would advice if possible stay off the tourist circuit ..yeah cancun is beautiful with amazing resorts but its more or less like Florida I would suggest Acapulco for some reasons there are fewer and fewer tourist so your dollar will go far, everything in peso down in Acapulco unlike cancun where everything is in dollars.....Acapulco is only 4 hrs drive from mexico city, the roads are nyweee just like states except they are toll roads......

Sounds very nice. I should seriously consider it for a vacation, however after this quake is it so good?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 01:41:33 AM »
Amazing you know so much. How about Guadalajara?

What I find concerning is the warning system. Hurricanes you have weeks to prepare but earthquake you have minutes..............you will fall in love with mexico. the people, the culture and food just amazing but I would advice if possible stay off the tourist circuit ..yeah cancun is beautiful with amazing resorts but its more or less like Florida I would suggest Acapulco for some reasons there are fewer and fewer tourist so your dollar will go far, everything in peso down in Acapulco unlike cancun where everything is in dollars.....Acapulco is only 4 hrs drive from mexico city, the roads are nyweee just like states except they are toll roads......

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 02:22:11 AM »
Guadarajara is very beautiful too, very historic city with all a lot of historic site,  of all towns in Mexico this is one place that's very easy to find people that speak or understand English mainly because a lot of America companies have set their base there.... last time I found it much easier to tour the city using the tour bus. You can pick the tour bus from the mayoral city center. visit tequila distilleries and other tourist spots, the beauty of tour bus you can chuck at any designated spot stroll for a while then pick the next bus....now I must say its important you polish up on Spanish or if you will drive around Mexico atleast know the road signs in Spanish "tope" means bump make sure you do not find that out after flying into a ditch like I did....from Guadalajara make sure you drive down to Puerto Vallarta, 6- 7 hrs drive on the hwy, the road is nyweeeeee but carry enough peso for toll roads....fresh food and fruits stalls garole, mango masala, mahindi masala all for pocket change...........
Amazing you know so much. How about Guadalajara?

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »
Negro can't help himself

He's a psychopath.
There's so much mutilation of the original clip that I'm sure it was pure shiet. Will get the original.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:13:41 PM »
one more thing....rental car very affordable, ranges from 1 USD to 10 USD but you have to get insurance which can be steep.If you are planning to use a credit card for car rental check with the credit card company to see what they cover and what they do not. also obtain a letter confirming the same to show to car rental in Mexico.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 11:28:57 PM »
This is very good information.

one more thing....rental car very affordable, ranges from 1 USD to 10 USD but you have to get insurance which can be steep.If you are planning to use a credit card for car rental check with the credit card company to see what they cover and what they do not. also obtain a letter confirming the same to show to car rental in Mexico.