Author Topic: Let's Pray  (Read 20897 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Let's Pray
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
Good Morning church,
Last week we started on a topic, Going Through Difficult Times. Today I want to wind up by sharing some practical steps you can take

Our reading is from;
1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV)
13 No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

1. Understand that all difficult times/moments are temporary or for a season.
Romans 8:18 (ESV)
8 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

Psalms 30:5 (ESV)
Weeping may tarry for the night,
but joy comes with the morning.

The idea is to not to get carried away by the present but to look ahead. One Naija preacher said that all problems have an expiry date. This is no escapism,not ignoring the present but understanding there is more to it than what you are going through.

2. Understand that you are not the only person to go through.
No problem/difficulty is unique; somebody went through it and came out on top. I believe the devil would have you believe that you are alone in this, that God is punishing you and so forth. It is comforting drawing inspiration from those who went through whatever you are in and survived. This is the thrust of
Hebrews 12:2 (ESV)
2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

The writer is encouraging us to endure trials and persecution because Jesus endured too

3. Guard your heart
Proverbs 4:23 (KJV)
23 Keep thy heart with all diligence;
for out of it are the issues of life.

By heart it is meant the seat of your emotions and intellect. Recall Israelites in the wilderness. Any difficulty be it thirst,homesick...anything and their hearts was quick to turn away from God. Remember Job as well. This was the whole idea of tempting him, to shake his faith in God. Difficult times are not the time to question your faith in God but to draw to Him even more. I recall one gal who dropped her faith seeing her sister dying despite her desperate prayers. Grief took out her faith. And I will never forget a young Pastoral student at NPC Woodley. The young Jarluo had Leukaemia. His last moments were so painful and he lost so much weight like you can't believe it. He remained cheerful throughout

4. Understand that no temptation/trial is bigger than you
This is the gist of our reading. It is saying that if it comes your way, you can beat it

5. Recall your past victories
Psalms 103: 2-5 (KJV)
2 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits:
3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities;
who healeth all thy diseases;
4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction;
who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;
5 Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things;
so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's.

The point is, if God has done it before, He will do it again. Back to Israelites, they easily forgot the glorious miracles over trivial issues. They missed meat and forgot the splitting of the Red Sea. Recall all He has ever done. There is a woman who received a miracle baby at the hand of Elisha. The kid fell sick and died. She went back to the same prophet sad but expectant. Her kid came back to life-2Kings 4

I apologize for not keeping it short, I pray that you will come out strong and you like Peter will strengthen others. Shalom and have a blessed Alford's Day

Now, let us worship the King of Kings
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Re: Let's Pray
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 09:59:54 AM »
Sorry, I meant Lord's Day.....cursed be this predictive text thing on my iPad
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
Re: Let's Pray
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »
Loving this! Amen Pastor vooke.
Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life