Author Topic: A kikuyu MP lobbied for interest capping the results are disastrous  (Read 1233 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: A kikuyu MP lobbied for interest capping the results are disastrous
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 10:29:29 AM »
It wasn't ichungwa, its June njomo of kiambu town. Credit growth had already started slowing way back in November before capping of interest spread. Granted the capping exacerbated the situation. The question is why hasn't the banks cranked up mobile lending to risky customers that they can charge at a higher rate ala mshwari and tala.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
It wasn't ichungwa, its June njomo of kiambu town. Credit growth had already started slowing way back in November before capping of interest spread. Granted the capping exacerbated the situation. The question is why hasn't the banks cranked up mobile lending to risky customers that they can charge at a higher rate ala mshwari and tala.
I cannot tell them apart. I stand corrected. This was a mistake by Uhuru, however, it is good for consumer protection. Kenyan poor need less credit and more employment.. Our economic growth will be at 3% this quarter and inch up 5% in the next quarter before dropping to 3% next year due to drought. By the way most employees have been negatively affected by retail meltdown. I was doing some consulting work for a certain Landlord and he had 15 evictions in July and August due to Nakumatt insolvency

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »

I cannot tell them apart. I stand corrected. This was a mistake by Uhuru, however, it is good for consumer protection. Kenyan poor need less credit and more employment.. Our economic growth will be at 3% this quarter and inch up 5% in the next quarter before dropping to 3% next year due to drought. By the way most employees have been negatively affected by retail meltdown. I was doing some consulting work for a certain Landlord and he had 15 evictions in July and August due to Nakumatt insolvency
Where are you getting those growth figures from? In coffee growing areas bumper harvest is expected meaning alot more discretionary expenditure. Also due to this year drought, dairy farmers have invested in fodder preservation which bodes well  incase of severe drought next yr. Retail problem is affecting suppliers but now they've exploring different distribution channel. The key is increased tourism, more investment from FDI and hopefully uptick in manufacturing as leather industry finally start humming.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »
 So what are your projections? Coffee prices will then drop I wonder if the volume can make uto for the difference .last coffee production was about 1.3 million tonnes lower but prices went up

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
So what are your projections? Coffee prices will then drop I wonder if the volume can make uto for the difference .last coffee production was about 1.3 million tonnes lower but prices went up
Prices will be lower but not by much. Last time we had a bumper harvest in 2015 the prices averaged $4 per kg. Which isn't bad. With the drought , elections and negligible credit growth the economy is still growing at 4.7% last quarter. So its unlikely the economy next year will deep below 5%, most likely it'll grow at between 5-6%.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
So why are you not roasting this coffee before selling it at $4 per Kg? I pay $6 for 340 grams. I buy eight O'clock the best selling coffee of all times in USA. I am actually thinking of starting a coffee shop and branding it myself. The cost will be about $200,000 to $375,000. I am hoping to have one in 5 years.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
So why are you not roasting this coffee before selling it at $4 per Kg? I pay $6 for 340 grams. I buy eight O'clock the best selling coffee of all times in USA. I am actually thinking of starting a coffee shop and branding it myself. The cost will be about $200,000 to $375,000. I am hoping to have one in 5 years.
That's one way, though to export to America one needs FDA approval to export roasted coffee. Its easier to export beans to America then roast and pack from there. The same applies for Europe, where its better to setup a roasting and packaging outfit in Europe then sell via online. I think theres a bigger opportunity in cold brew market that doesn't need to be freshly brewed like Starbucks coffee https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2016-10-18/bagel-coffee-mashups-give-glimpse-at-jab-s-caffeine-strategy . Bottom line increased consumption of coffee locally drives up coffee commodity prices.