Author Topic: Please help me I cannot understand this logic!  (Read 4150 times)

Offline skatebodi

Please help me I cannot understand this logic!
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
When a Muslim fanatic cut the neck of a British Johnie, there were absolutely no demonstrations among Muslims to condemn that act, but if such an act is foiled, there will definitely be massive demonstrations on Friday. Veritas can tell us what happened in Oz, Queensland and Sydney. Serious demonstrations because some potential murderer has been nabbed before pulling a random Joe Bloggs and cutting his neck on the street! How am I to understand my Muslim friends? http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/09/18/stop-terrorising-muslims-hundreds-join-sydney-protest-against-terror-raids

Sketie

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Please help me I cannot understand this logic!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 04:05:48 PM »
Sketie,

Whoever succeeds in framing the story wins.  The way you are framing it.  A Muslim wakes up in a vacuum to slaughter a random victim, then goes back to his nap.    Looked at in isolation, these acts are pretty evil.

There are good explanations(not justifications) for why these Muslims are doing what they do.  Personally I think they are nuts.  Yet ultimately, it comes down to how you are wired.

What's happening in the Middle East is a war for control of resources couched in favorable terms by the participants.  The best way for the US and Britain to advance their point of view is to reduce it to a caricature based on events within the conflict.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »
When a Muslim fanatic cut the neck of a British Johnie, there were absolutely no demonstrations among Muslims to condemn that act, but if such an act is foiled, there will definitely be massive demonstrations on Friday. Veritas can tell us what happened in Oz, Queensland and Sydney. Serious demonstrations because some potential murderer has been nabbed before pulling a random Joe Bloggs and cutting his neck on the street! How am I to understand my Muslim friends? http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/09/18/stop-terrorising-muslims-hundreds-join-sydney-protest-against-terror-raids

Sketie
Could it be that freedom of expression also includes the freedom not say anything at all?
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »

Sketie

Sketie, it's a big thing at the moment in OZ with Abbott clamping down on "terrorist" organisations. I can understand their need to protest about it. I'm not sure what you mean by the UK link.

Offline skatebodi

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »
Sketie,

Whoever succeeds in framing the story wins.  The way you are framing it.  A Muslim wakes up in a vacuum to slaughter a random victim, then goes back to his nap.    Looked at in isolation, these acts are pretty evil.

There are good explanations(not justifications) for why these Muslims are doing what they do.  Personally I think they are nuts.  Yet ultimately, it comes down to how you are wired.

What's happening in the Middle East is a war for control of resources couched in favorable terms by the participants.  The best way for the US and Britain to advance their point of view is to reduce it to a caricature based on events within the conflict.

It is said that history is written by the conquerors. I know that once upon a time, the Uthman empire stretched in many directions, long before oil became a useful thing beyond being used as tar. Nevertheless, the beheadings and gloating that characterises them is grotesque and quite ungodlike. If today I was told that I must live under the reign of ISIS, I would for no other reason than what they have shown to be capable of doing, be firmly and irrevocably unwilling to under any circumstances. All the world's resources are not found in the Middle East though! But I can see several instances in which your hypothesis holds true.
Sketie

Offline skatebodi

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
Could it be that freedom of expression also includes the freedom not say anything at all?

Omollo, interesting observation, but wrong and right cannot be decided that way. Right and wrong are basic tenets of freedom. For instance, you are free to do certain things provided you do not interfere with the freedom of others. If it turns out that you want to assert all your rights (which is good!) but flout the rights of the others (manifestly wrong!), you must be called to account. In fact you can only claim to understand the two way street of civil rights only if you also respect the rights of the other person. Imagine an airline passenger sitting next to you who does not want any reading lights nearby (on a long flight!) but then is extremely flatulent and farts continuously.

Thanks for the observation!

Sketie

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »

Omollo, interesting observation, but wrong and right cannot be decided that way. Right and wrong are basic tenets of freedom. For instance, you are free to do certain things provided you do not interfere with the freedom of others. If it turns out that you want to assert all your rights (which is good!) but flout the rights of the others (manifestly wrong!), you must be called to account. In fact you can only claim to understand the two way street of civil rights only if you also respect the rights of the other person. Imagine an airline passenger sitting next to you who does not want any reading lights nearby (on a long flight!) but then is extremely flatulent and farts continuously.

Sketie
Let us start with you showing me your condemnation of the acts of Nakuru Governor.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline skatebodi

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »

Sketie, it's a big thing at the moment in OZ with Abbott clamping down on "terrorist" organisations. I can understand their need to protest about it. I'm not sure what you mean by the UK link.
[/quote]

When a young soldier was slaughtered outside an army camp in the UK I did not see any protests at all from the Muslim establishment there. For goodness' sake, if this dunderhead had been arrested before the killing, there could HAVE been protests. This is what I find very unconvincing. See this.
Sadly, even if you keep yourself busy going about your life (like taking coffee with a friend in Westgate Mall on a Saturday morning), they will come along and kill you. I know many are the Muslims who are horrified by these things,  but they keep quiet, so I wonder if they are outnumbered or forced to keep mum by the fear of violence?
Sketie

Offline skatebodi

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:06:35 PM »

Sketie
Let us start with you showing me your condemnation of the acts of Nakuru Governor.

Ahahah! Are you talking about the 'KANUist' act of trying to stop canvassing? I live in Nakuru by the way and from 1992 and beyond, there has always been a sizeable voice of opposition in Nakuru, and I do not see why that could change just because Kinuthia said so? Remember once Wilson Leitich announced two fingers bad, one finger good; two fingers to be chopped, one finger to be spared? It did not stop multiparty. I honestly think what he did is utter nonsense if it were not a precursor for intolerance and possible violence.
Sketie