Author Topic: Traits of religious fanatics  (Read 23684 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Traits of religious fanatics
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88211

I've come to notice that there are certain traits that religious fanatic share, especially Christians.

Irrationallity

Stubbornness

Not being able to answer a question directly

Obnoxious quoting and misquoting the Bible instead of actually answering a question

Regression into namecalling when backed into a corner with logic

Interesting...

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Traits of religious fanatics
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
Sometimes I think the 12 disciples were fanatics. Imagine abandoning a lucrative fishing business to follow a Man being hunted by respected pharisees and scribes. As the history of the world nears its end, those who profess true Christianity will be regarded as fanatics. Did you hear that TB Joshua's synagogue collapsed and killed over 70 worshipers? I do not mean that kind of fanaticism.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »
They didn't attack anyone and generally be nasty so I don't think they were fanatics.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:41:32 PM »
http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88211

I've come to notice that there are certain traits that religious fanatic share, especially Christians.

Irrationallity

Stubbornness

Not being able to answer a question directly

Obnoxious quoting and misquoting the Bible instead of actually answering a question

Regression into namecalling when backed into a corner with logic

Interesting...

Really interesting..... especially because it applies to the non religious/fanatic atheists in equal measure....
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Kababe

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »
Sometimes I think the 12 disciples were fanatics. Imagine abandoning a lucrative fishing business to follow a Man being hunted by respected pharisees and scribes. As the history of the world nears its end, those who profess true Christianity will be regarded as fanatics. Did you hear that TB Joshua's synagogue collapsed and killed over 70 worshipers? I do not mean that kind of fanaticism.
I agree. Though I don't think they were fanatics (remember when things got tough they fled at the dark hour). But I have always wondered if I was living at that time if I would ever follow a man who claimed divinity. I honestly think without an intervention of grace I would never have.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »
Fled at the dark hour...  :roll: that's a good one!

I have fallen for a man's charm. Can be quite seductive.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:20:15 PM »
Religiosity can apply to anything.  Not just believers in the supernatural.  Even some avowed atheists like Richard Dawkins have it.

It's the belief that you have cornered the market for all the answers.  The lack of respect for one's own limits of knowledge.  The absence of the fear of God(I use this phrase in a purely metaphorical sense).

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kababe

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:33:18 PM »

Yes, but would you believe someone today who told you he was God's son?

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:37:35 PM »
Religiosity can apply to anything.  Not just believers in the supernatural.  Even some avowed atheists like Richard Dawkins have it.

It's the belief that you have cornered the market for all the answers.  The lack of respect for one's own limits of knowledge.  The absence of the fear of God(I use this phrase in a purely metaphorical sense).

Love this!

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »

Yes, but would you believe someone today who told you he was God's son?

No. Jesus is God's son. I meant in terms of sexual attraction. Jesus was a smallish Jewish man. He had to have been the son of God to reach out to the masses across time and space given his physique.