Author Topic: Owners of the companies that fleeced MAfya House of billions  (Read 9818 times)

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
Owners of the companies that fleeced MAfya House of billions
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:03:28 PM »

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Owners of the companies that fleeced MAfya House of billions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »
Yesterday it was Ruto and today it's Uhuru family.why can' the list of directors be digitized. This keeping of physical files is part of corruption.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 03:40:52 PM »

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »
--Ambrose Makanga and Njage Mukanga --- there is some nexus there.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
The most detrimental form of corruption is at the top of the government. Only people as high as the president and the Deputy president can get away with this amount of stealing.  Its also the easiest corruption to eliminate.  All you need is an honest leader at the presidency like John Magufuli and this corruption is gone, then you can focus on the 2nd tier and third tier corruption.  Change of leadership in 2017 is the only realistic cure for this level of corruption.

Yesterday it was Ruto and today it's Uhuru family.why can' the list of directors be digitized. This keeping of physical files is part of corruption.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
These are the decoys like the hairstylist Kabura and that KBC driver John Kago. How the hell do you expect these non-entities to enter into MAfya House and get paid billions without any connection to the top guys in the country?
Pundit, I have personal friends who have done business with MOH and KEMSA for many years and they tell me things have never been as bad as today. Even Moi days were better. People with no experience at all in the health sector are getting tenders worth hundreds of millions. All you need is a direct connection to State House and you have the deal in the pocket.

--Ambrose Makanga and Njage Mukanga --- there is some nexus there.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 04:16:44 PM »
There you have it.

The most detrimental form of corruption is at the top of the government. Only people as high as the president and the Deputy president can get away with this amount of stealing. Its also the easiest corruption to eliminate.  All you need is an honest leader at the presidency like John Magufuli and this corruption is gone, then you can focus on the 2nd tier and third tier corruption.  Change of leadership in 2017 is the only realistic cure for this level of corruption.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
Quite a little circus.    I wonder if it is really that complicated for Kenya (supposedly an IT powerhouse in Africa) to have a system like what the UK has, which system allows anyone, anywhere to look up relevant information on a company.   For example,  here is a search on a randomly selected company:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07886305
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:21:02 PM »
Yeah this need to be implemented - I don't see why ownership of a company should be private info.
Quite a little circus.    I wonder if it is really that complicated for Kenya (supposedly an IT powerhouse in Africa) to have a system like what the UK has, which system allows anyone, anywhere to look up relevant information on a company.   For example,  here is a search on a randomly selected company:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07886305

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 05:35:04 PM »
The most detrimental form of corruption is at the top of the government. Only people as high as the president and the Deputy president can get away with this amount of stealing.  Its also the easiest corruption to eliminate.  All you need is an honest leader at the presidency like John Magufuli and this corruption is gone, then you can focus on the 2nd tier and third tier corruption.  Change of leadership in 2017 is the only realistic cure for this level of corruption.

Or people with a nod from those two.  It is indeed the simplest to eliminate, if the will the will is there.  It's tougher to eliminate the petty corruption where people steal to survive.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »
we are now into conspiracy without any evidence -  that stealing is sijui from the top. Corruption will happen as long as we have weak controls, weak investigation and prosecution - and even weaker judiciary. The only way to sustainably fight corruption is through institutions. Not through Magufuli.

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
we are now into conspiracy without any evidence -  that stealing is sijui from the top. Corruption will happen as long as we have weak controls, weak investigation and prosecution - and even weaker judiciary. The only way to sustainably fight corruption is through institutions. Not through Magufuli.

We want institutions.  Ultimately.  But without a direction from the top, the institutions themselves become part of the problem.  They become new avenues for corruption.  This is not in dispute.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:22 PM »
So you think Obama is giving direction to US institutions? Institution do not need direction. And there is nothing like top and bottom if you have independent institution doing their job. You don't want the top. You want truly independent institution doing their job. I know this idea of "setting an example" is very alluring but it doesn't work in any sustainable way. What works is strengthening institution. We have a problem with file supposedly disappearing - how can we strengthen the State Law office or Company Registar so this never happens? Moonki has good idea - digitize everything.  How do we strengthen the assest recovery and criminal proceedings institution so they can seize and freeze stolen property - which is disincentive to those who steal.

We may not appear to be making progress in corruption as compared to rwanda or magufuli - but over the long time we will be far ahead - coz our institution will be stronger and tested - while mangufuli will tie the fate of his country with his own - so next time a corrupt dude come in - all that goes through the window.

We have worked hard to build our democratic institutions - and we know - we cannot say go to dictatorship like in moi era - and that is long term progress - as compared to benevolent dictator. Now every president who comes to kenya know he'll be just pork - not a dictator.

We want institutions.  Ultimately.  But without a direction from the top, the institutions themselves become part of the problem.  They become new avenues for corruption.  This is not in dispute.

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 06:14:56 PM »
So you think Obama is giving direction to US institutions? Institution do not need direction. And there is nothing like top and bottom if you have independent institution doing their job. You don't want the top. You want truly independent institution doing their job. I know this idea of "setting an example" is very alluring but it doesn't work in any sustainable way. What works is strengthening institution. We have a problem with file supposedly disappearing - how can we strengthen the State Law office or Company Registar so this never happens? Moonki has good idea - digitize everything.  How do we strengthen the assest recovery and criminal proceedings institution so they can seize and freeze stolen property - which is disincentive to those who steal.

We may not appear to be making progress in corruption as compared to rwanda or magufuli - but over the long time we will be far ahead - coz our institution will be stronger and tested - while mangufuli will tie the fate of his country with his own - so next time a corrupt dude come in - all that goes through the window.

Obama doesn't have to because he inherited mature institutions.  Even then, the US is not immune to institutional collapse as is evidenced by police corruption.  They require actual people to breath life into them.  It takes actual work...there never comes a time when effort is not needed.

Kenya, on paper, is better protected against grand corruption than pretty much most of the US...EACC, DPP, DCI, Auditor General, etc.  Why don't they work?  Why are they weak?  How do you discourage a Waiguru?  Take them to court?  They will happily take that route...a small price...ask Sam Gichuru.

That is where umagufuli comes in.  kamwana can lay their entrails bare for public scrutiny and make their lives hard, if he wants.  But he does not.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 06:26:46 PM »
From Robert Alai:

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »
Institution do not need direction.

That's an interesting view.  So what do their leaders do?

And there is nothing like top and bottom if you have independent institution doing their job. You don't want the top. You want truly independent institution doing their job.

Every institution has a head, and "head" = "top".    And above that, there is a "top" of "tops".

Outside the "independent institutions", the Constitution of Kenya states that:

The President is the Head of State and Government.

On "giving direction", the Constitution of Kenya states that:

The President shall direct and co-ordinate the functions of ministries and government departments   

That includes things like the State Law Office and the Department of Justice, whose functions include "Anti-corruption strategies, integrity, and ethics".   

Uhuru "directing" in early 2015:

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2015/03/12/uhuru-gives-state-organs-two-week-ultimatum-on-corruption_c1099639#sthash.c0P84d6K.dpuf

Somewhat surprisingly, some people though there would be more than talk.    Instead, the matter was quickly forgotten, and there has been corruption scandal after corruption scandal.

As Terminator has pointed out, if Uhuru wants to know what is going on, a good place to start with be the Auditor-General's reports.   He can then "direct and coordinate", as the constitution requires him to  ... if he is serious.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »
It all starts with strong moral leadership. You cannot brag about ouru and Ruto having "real power" when convenient and then when we try to hold them accountable then all of a sudden they do not have the power to do anything.  Corruption is the number one issue ailing Kenya today and any candidate who do not have an articulable plan should not run for that office.  Ouru should not only tell us the problems but he should also have a solution or step aside.

"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »
The stealing starts with Budget and allocation, then IFMIS. Its very easy it seems to create a company in the IFMIS and approve payment if one has the right passwords. You don't need to know the President, deputy or cabinet secretary. The head of departments can easily do this with the PS. This is what should be looked into.
What was the purpose of trying to link uhuru cousins with companies that received the money other than smear campaign. What I find outrageous is that Former EACC chairman Kinisu company is one of the recipient, that shows the level of collusion. 

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »

The stealing starts with Budget and allocation, then IFMIS. Its very easy it seems to create a company in the IFMIS and approve payment if one has the right passwords. You don't need to know the President, deputy or cabinet secretary. The head of departments can easily do this with the PS. This is what should be looked into.
. What I find outrageous is that Former EACC chairman Kinisu company is one of the recipient, that shows the level of collusion.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 09:52:25 AM »
Hk right.i thought any procurement that is more 1 million shs should be tendered but seem most of these multi millions deals are single sourced.We need to re-look ifmis and whole gov tendering.Corruption is big problem even in our private firms and the solution is to tighten controls..in our company we have anti graft investigators in addition to internal auditors..given corruption is as rampant as in GoK.We need to go beyond the blame game and ensure we strengthen our institution. First we need to ensure no single source contract of 1m is allowed say without IPOA, EACC and CS reviewing it.There is also need to involve the Auditor General and EACC way before...for instance any ifmis transaction of more than 100m...EACC should be alerted.

This battle will be long drawn because our level of economy is great incentive to be corrupt...whether in gov or private firms or in our families budget...however as the economy grows and we improve our institution..it will become manageable like in most of developed country.

Right now Uhuru should prioritize this fight...everything else he has done really well.