Author Topic: Kenya's brutal capitalism  (Read 1268 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Kenya's brutal capitalism
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
While Kenya ranks lowly on the human rights record, the practice of democracy and equitable distribution of the national cake according to the latest Mo Ibrahim report on African governance, it is the epitome of the capitalist system of governance.
The concept of capitalism may not be so simple, but the long and short of it is that it works for a handful at the expense of the majority.
In general terms, capitalism is characterised by private ownership of businesses which, in turn are driven by the quest for profit. Some of the attributes of capitalism include the exploitative wage labour and capital accumulation; a system through which, in most cases, quality becomes a casualty as profits override any other considerations.
Experts acknowledge at least three forms of capitalism; State Capitalism, Welfare Capitalism and Free Market Capitalism.

www.standardmedia.co.ke/m/article/2000218578/kenya-the-epitome-of-the-capitalist-state

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Kenya's brutal capitalism
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 08:31:13 PM »
While Kenya ranks lowly on the human rights record, the practice of democracy and equitable distribution of the national cake according to the latest Mo Ibrahim report on African governance, it is the epitome of the capitalist system of governance.
The concept of capitalism may not be so simple, but the long and short of it is that it works for a handful at the expense of the majority.
In general terms, capitalism is characterised by private ownership of businesses which, in turn are driven by the quest for profit. Some of the attributes of capitalism include the exploitative wage labour and capital accumulation; a system through which, in most cases, quality becomes a casualty as profits override any other considerations.
Experts acknowledge at least three forms of capitalism; State Capitalism, Welfare Capitalism and Free Market Capitalism.

www.standardmedia.co.ke/m/article/2000218578/kenya-the-epitome-of-the-capitalist-state

There's an interesting book titled Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty.

I'd recommend it to get an insight on Kenya.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 04:39:42 PM »
Study Singapore's capitalism and the advances that they made. Also, Korea's capitalism. Kenya's is very messy, there's no order, which may lead to high disparities in haves and have nots.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »

There's an interesting book titled Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty.

I'd recommend it to get an insight on Kenya.

I got my hands on it yesterday.  I hope to read it soon.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
Capitalism in Kenya is very simple, as none other than the president has explained: meza mate or kula nyama, and for the latter one has to be well placed.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 07:59:24 AM »
Our brutal capitalism is responsible for world success in fighting poverty. Kenya despite not having any mineral or oil have done so well thank to embracing this brutal capitalism. TZ is an example of what not do economically and we should not envy them.