Author Topic: Ethiopia to overtake Kenya as Eastern Africa’s top economy  (Read 2383 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Ethiopia to overtake Kenya as Eastern Africa’s top economy
« on: October 07, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »

www.theeastafrican.co.ke/business/Ethiopia-to-overtake-Kenya-as-Eastern-Africas-top-economy/2560-3408092-bn8yh3z/index.html

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Ethiopia to overtake Kenya as Eastern Africa’s top economy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »
The author of this article is somehow self-contradictory. In the beginning, it says Ethiopia has risen by using the same tactics that propelled china to be a world leader. However, in the end he says Kenya has an advantage against Ethiopia because Kenya runs a laissez-faire economy :)

More importantly, Kenya runs a comparatively more open economy, unlike Ethiopia which has closed most sectors of its economy to foreign investors.

And then he throws a consolation for Kenya at the end. Yes, we are lagging behind Ethiopia. But see, we have Uganda and Tanzania behind us! We are doing just fine.

While Kenya faces the prospects of being overtaken by Ethiopia in absolute economic size, it is expected to maintain a huge lead ahead of other neighbouring countries in the region, including Uganda and Tanzania.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »

That Ethiopia's GDP has not hit $100 billion USD yet is pathetic and ought to be the title of this story.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »
If only they can stop extra judicial killings of innocent protesters!!

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
Why 100B not say 150 or any arbitrary number? Ethiopia have grown by 10% - which is excellent -and it's GDP has rise nearly 10 times in about 15 yrs. That is breathtaking growth.
That Ethiopia's GDP has not hit $100 billion USD yet is pathetic and ought to be the title of this story.

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 04:09:53 PM »
Why 100B not say 150 or any arbitrary number? Ethiopia have grown by 10% - which is excellent -and it's GDP has rise nearly 10 times in about 15 yrs. That is breathtaking growth.

100 is arbitrary.  I could even say 80.  It entirely depends on expectations.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »
What expectation based on? Ignorance. Ethiopia has been the world poster child of famine, starvation, begging and drought. They've managed to turn around their fortunes after post-mele zenawi. Now they need to surmount the political challenge they are facing. Let us hope beyond the crackdown the tiny tigrey elite will realize how important it is to get the rest of the country behind them.

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
What expectation based on? Ignorance. Ethiopia has been the world poster child of famine, starvation, begging and drought. They've managed to turn around their fortunes after post-mele zenawi. Now they need to surmount the political challenge they are facing. Let us hope beyond the crackdown the tiny tigrey elite will realize how important it is to get the rest of the country behind them.

What's the opposite of the soft bigotry of low expectations?  That one.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
I think Ethiopia deserves credit for the lot they have achieved in last decade.
If its GDP will continue to compound at at least 10% for years to come, then Ethiopia will become a blue print for the rest of africa.

The completion of the native funded grand renaissance dam project will be a monster milestone in the process.

I also believe that there is a huge chance that Ethiopia industry powered GDP per capita will surpass that of Kenya service sector propped GDP per capita in the next ~10-15 years at around USD2700-3200.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
The headwinds from Oromo-Amhara protest seem too strong for them to recover quickly. This year they had to contend with drought that slashed their growth rate to 4% and now add the protest..and you're looking at very bad times for Ethiopia.I doubt Ethiopia can beat Kenya per capita anytime soon..Kenya although not doing grand projects in Ethiopia scale...is this year the fourth highest growing economy in Africa after Ivory coast,TZ and Rwanda...so even in nominal GDP -kenya can claw back the lead.

I think Ethiopia deserves credit for the lot they have achieved in last decade.
If its GDP will continue to compound at at least 10% for years to come, then Ethiopia will become a blue print for the rest of africa.

The completion of the native funded grand renaissance dam project will be a monster milestone in the process.

I also believe that there is a huge chance that Ethiopia industry powered GDP per capita will surpass that of Kenya service sector propped GDP per capita in the next ~10-15 years at around USD2700-3200.