Author Topic: Kenya orders 1.1m tablets from China  (Read 29935 times)

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Kenya orders 1.1m tablets from China
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2016, 05:24:05 PM »
If you can't get my plain English it no wonder you struggle with basic concepts and have to go looking for scientific studies for even the MOST obvious stuff :)

Bridge Intl are using tech to solve all those issues. Knowing you've absentism problem (thro some survey) without knowing who exactly missed school on which date is useless information - it cannot be acted upon.

Tablet can replace a teacher eventually. Tablet can become a robot teacher if you will...as long as it loaded with relevant content and programmed to do so. That to me is the future. One teacher or a robot..can be able to teach thousands if not million of pupils..like is happening in online courses now. We will get there eventually..for now..a kid in Turkana has a chance that a kid in Uganda's Karamoja doesn't have to self-teach with tablet..if the teacher is absent. We did this..with really torn up borrowed books. Now imagine if we had tablets. Imagine if those tablets are connected and you can virtual join a classroom in the best school...the possibilities are unimaginable.

Whatever we are doing or bridge is doing is just scratching the surface.  We are laying the foundation. Laying the electricity, broadband, devices and capacity (hardware+infrastructure) for real innovation (software) to happen.

As usual, it has all flown by you.

First, the point I was trying to make is that Bridge apparently considers teachers to be the most important component and does not believe that they can be replaced with technology.

Second, dealing with teacher absences is a management problem that cannot be solved by technology.   The issue is not that of merely knowing who is absent----that information is already available, whence (using GoK's data):

Reports, including a recent one by the World Bank, have said Kenya has some of the highest incidents of teacher absenteeism which, compounded by poor pedagogy, undermine the quality of teaching.

Rather the issues are (a) immediate-term, what do do with absences on the day .... see the Bridge approach; and (b) long-term, what to do with lazy, and habitually absent teachers.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2016, 05:40:29 PM »
Here is what Bridge Intl is doing in slum schools...Gov need to play catch up here. Those tablets are going to be underused initially but with time we can scale them up. 10yrs from now...someone will be saying this can only work for slum schools in developing countries like m-pesa.

Great stuff; I'm all for it.   You will, I presume, have noted that all of that is just teachers and school admin using technology for administrative chores.   And quite a bit of it doesn't do much good if  the teachers don't even show up.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »
If you can't get my plain English it no wonder you struggle with basic concepts and have to go looking for scientific studies for even the MOST obvious stuff :)

I have yet to acquire your skills in simply making up 99% of what one writes, putting it  all together in an entirely logic-free manner, and tenaciously resisting all attempts to get connected to reality.   :D

Bridge Intl are using tech to solve all those issues. Knowing you've absentism problem (thro some survey) without knowing who exactly missed school on which date is useless information - it cannot be acted upon.

You have some very strange ideas.   Knowing whether a teacher is absent on a particular date does not require technology, and in most places is done in a very simple manner.    Two ways that apparently have not occurred to you:

(a) Have teachers sign in at some central office, and have the headmaster check the roster at the start of the school day.

(b) Headmaster takes a roll-call before teachers are dispatched to classes for that day.

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
Except when the headmaster is the most notorious absentee or a dishonest cheat covering for other teachers.

There is really no other way that we can improve access and qualify of education fast without TECHNOLOGY. If we use your scientifically tried and tested "traditional" way...then we would take 100yrs & billions of dollars to get there.

If we use technology like Bridge...we can in 10yrs be able to deliver as good an education as a kid in OECD school gets without spending as much. Those will be really competitive labour force that hacked it without spend so much building nice schools, employing great teachers and the whole shebang.

And sorry there isn't probably any study you can google to tell you all this...coz nobody has yet to do it :)

This is a 17B investment that is well spent and with greatest payoff than anything I can think about.

(a) Have teachers sign in at some central office, and have the headmaster check the roster at the start of the school day.

(b) Headmaster takes a roll-call before teachers are dispatched to classes for that day.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Except when the headmaster is the most notorious absentee or a dishonest cheat covering for other teachers.

And technology would help with that how?

RV Pundit:

They can detect if a teacher is absent. That is what TSC is grappling with..and now with tablet..in few short years...we can know who has turned off their tablet.

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
Bridge already do that..if you want to go further high tech...you can invest in web cams and cctv cameras. Tech doesn't depend on a teacher signing...there are many ways including cheap biometrics for digitally signing in. TSC has to start somewhere..but having each teacher get a simple thing like an email address is good place to start.
And technology would help with that how?

RV Pundit:

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2016, 06:07:31 PM »
Bridge all do that..if you want to go further high tech...you can invest in web cams and cctv cameras.

Do all what?   Try to think it through, after stating the possibility that "the headmaster is the most notorious absentee or a dishonest cheat covering for other teachers".

Tech doesn't depend on a teacher signing...there are many ways including cheap biometrics for digitally signing in

:D 

Since you missed it, here it is again: (a) You don't require technology to determine who is at school; (b) It doesn't matter how you determine absences; the issue is what is done about them.

TSC has to start somewhere..but having each teacher get a simple thing like an email address is good place to start.

And for the problem we are discussing, this would help how?

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2016, 06:12:05 PM »
What is hard to understand here? It already being done by Bridge and private offices & industries. But first you need infrastructure..and this digital project is laying that..once you have electricity..then you can install cheap biometric digital signing in every school...or so many other solutions out there..that TSC & Ministry of Education can cherry pick and adopt. The paper system you describe exist now and has not worked.We have chronic teacher absenteeism as you would expect for our level of underdevelopment (understaffed monitoring team that have to oversee many remote schools). We can leapfrog this through TECHNOLOGY.

Do all what?   Try to think it through, after stating the possibility that "the headmaster is the most notorious absentee or a dishonest cheat covering for other teachers".

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »
What is hard to understand here? It already being done by Bridge and private offices & industries. But first you need infrastructure..and this digital project is laying that..once you have power..then you can install cheap biometric digital signing in in every school...or so many other solutions out there. The paper system you describe exist now and has not worked.We have chronic absenteeism as you would expect for our level of underdevelopment. We can leapfrog this through TECHNOLOGY.

One more time: see the above explanation of what the real problem is.

Suppose we use whatever means you propose to determine absences.    What then happens?

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2016, 06:17:28 PM »
Absenteeism disappear because every teacher want to keep their job. They get to teach more and the output is improved quality of education across board.Mean average scores in maths, english or name it improves. Quality of graduates improves. Quality of labour forces improves...etc etc.
One more time: see the above explanation of what the real problem is.

Suppose we use whatever means you propose to determine absences.    What then happens?

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »
Absenteeism disappear because every teacher want to keep their job. They get to teach more and the output is improved quality of education across board.Mean average scores in maths, english or name it improves. Quality of graduates improves. Quality of labour forces improves...etc etc.

What exactly will make it disappear and how?   Never mind.  I see you point: using technology to detect absenteeism will definitely produce better results than when other means are used.     Just like that.  And that is so because when technology is used to detect a problem, the required solution automatically falls into place.   

:D :o :D :o :D :o

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2016, 09:20:19 AM »
You want me to draw pictures? or you're just incapable of any critical thinking?
What exactly will make it disappear and how?   Never mind.  I see you point: using technology to detect absenteeism will definitely produce better results than when other means are used.     Just like that.  And that is so because when technology is used to detect a problem, the required solution automatically falls into place.   
 :D :o :D :o :D :o

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
You want me to draw pictures? or you're just incapable of any critical thinking?

You do pictures as well?  In that case, given your sort of imagination and fondness for dishing up fiction, have you ever considered writing children's storybooks? You'd make a killing! :D

He, he, he ....

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »
http://digischool.icta.go.ke/

It was long removed from Ministry of Education to Mucheru's ICT ministry.

I saw that.  It doesn't help with the sort of question Terminator is asking; all it deals with is the "roll-out".

I haven't had a chance to look through it.  Every time I get the last few days I am too dog tired to scan through it.

But from a quick scan it looks like the overall idea is to improve access to education through digital learning.  It is not the same thing as learning about digital technology.  I think that is where obscurantism does not help and I want to avoid it.

The question can be made whether it is worth it, and a lot of the studies you've shared are spot on.  But I think they apply more in an environment where education is already well facilitated and resourced. 

In a place where they don't have anything, even paper let alone other learning material and the works, one could easily make a case for the digital devices.  Is it not better for a kid in Turkana to have a digital device with some educational materials loaded than the alternative? 

The converse case of course could also be made that resources are better spent in teachers and other facilities.  But given that this is clearly not happening, for one reason or another, is it a bad thing to roll out the devices?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2016, 05:50:52 PM »
The question can be made whether it is worth it, and a lot of the studies you've shared are spot on.  But I think they apply more in an environment where education is already well facilitated and resourced. 

Toyama, whom I referenced above, worked in India, and Microsoft sent him there precisely because things were neither well facilitated or well resourced.   Indeed, his argument,based on experience and observation, is that schools that are badly off are not the place for such experiments:

For primary and secondary schools that are underperforming or limited in resources, efforts to improve education should focus almost exclusively on better teachers and stronger administrations. Information technology, if used at all, should be targeted for certain, specific uses or limited to well-funded schools whose fundamentals are not in question.

One can also look at places like Peru that have aggressively implemented such programmes:

And the jury is back: One Laptop per Child is not enough
http://blogs.iadb.org/desarrolloefectivo_en/2012/03/06/and-the-jury-is-back-one-laptop-per-child-is-not-enough/

In a place where they don't have anything, even paper let alone other learning material and the works, one could easily make a case for the digital devices.  Is it not better for a kid in Turkana to have a digital device with some educational materials loaded than the alternative? 

It depends on what one considers to be the alternative.   For example, a digital device will not make up for the lack of a teacher; nor is there any evidence to suggest that the materials on a digital device is any better than material in a physical textbook.

The "kid in Turkana" example has been peddled quite a bit by GoK types.    As a matter of fact, the kid in Turkana is the worst possible example to use in such cases, because he or she has more serious problems: malnutrition and its effects.    Stunting in under-5 children is a serious problem in Kenya, and effects on body and brain development cannot be reversed; after age 5, hunger continues to be a problem for the kid in Turkana.

There are numerous studies on the relevant connections.    A random one:

The education of children all over the world is being held back by malnutrition. In humanitarian terms, it makes no sense that the children who manage to get to school cannot benefit fully from their education, because they are already malnourished, because they are currently hungry, or because of infection. Equally, from the educators' view point, dealing with severely limited resources means that the best efficiency must be obtained; yet it is now clear that educational efficiency is badly hampered by malnutrition and ill health amongst school children. Nearly 90% of the world's school children will be in developing countries by the year 2000, yet many of these will be physically ill prepared for school, will have poor attention, and will drop out - and nutrition plays a part in all this.
http://www.unsystem.org/scn/archives/scnnews05/ch1.htm

It is doubtful that laptops and tablets will help in making up for such fundamental aspects of Grim Reality.

The converse case of course could also be made that resources are better spent in teachers and other facilities.  But given that this is clearly not happening, for one reason or another, is it a bad thing to roll out the devices?

Yes, it is a bad thing, and not just because of the inefficient use of scarce money.    It is bad because the parents of such kids are basically being conned: the government having failed to meet its obligations with regard to teachers and facilities has chosen to lead parents to believe that somehow the use of technology will make up for all that.    And the worst part of the con is that this is being done for political reasons and a bit of kula nyama, which is why the Education ministry is very sketchy on what this is all about.   

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2016, 05:23:07 PM »

Toyama, whom I referenced above, worked in India, and Microsoft sent him there precisely because things were neither well facilitated or well resourced.   Indeed, his argument,based on experience and observation, is that schools that are badly off are not the place for such experiments:

For primary and secondary schools that are underperforming or limited in resources, efforts to improve education should focus almost exclusively on better teachers and stronger administrations. Information technology, if used at all, should be targeted for certain, specific uses or limited to well-funded schools whose fundamentals are not in question.

I agree with that.  I subscribe fully to the notion that nothing can be an adequate replacement for human-to-human interaction when it comes to learning.  Given a choice, I will take a great teacher with papyrus paper and feather pen over a gadget chokeful with educational materials and an average teacher.  Any day. 

In an ideal situation, I would have a system not unlike what we have here - access to technology is there but always supplementing human teaching.  You learn something in class and either you do a field trip, or you get online for some exercises and reinforcement. 

I think that is what they are trying to do in Kenya.  But they have to take it one step further because the kids don't have access to basic resources e.g. a computer with an internet connection at home, like in the developed countries.  So they give them a tablet loaded with educational material - to be fair I am a bit fuzzy on the actual mechanics or workflow. 

That they are doing this, does not seem like a problem per se.  It is only bad if it is conceived as a workaround to fixing the fundamentals.  Even if they had the fundamentals down, this program would still be a good idea in the sense of the advantages I highlight in paragraph 2.  In the absence of the fundamentals, it is still better than the alternative(in practice, not in principle) -  as a sort of consolation.

One can also look at places like Peru that have aggressively implemented such programmes:

And the jury is back: One Laptop per Child is not enough
http://blogs.iadb.org/desarrolloefectivo_en/2012/03/06/and-the-jury-is-back-one-laptop-per-child-is-not-enough/

I would consider the Peru example not so much an indictment of the program as a conclusion that it is generally neutral.  Even then there are some caveats as shown below.  Does it mean the conclusion may be better than neutral if they had setup the gadgets with relevant educational material?
However, we find no evidence that the program increased learning in Math or Language. This is not surprising, as the program did not include specific interventions to integrate the laptop to the curricula, nor the computers include specific math or language software.

There would even appear to be some cognitive gains.
On the positive side, the results indicate some benefits on cognitive skills. In the three measured dimensions, students in the treatment group surpass those in the control group. A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that the estimated impact on the verbal fluency measure represents the progression expected in six months for a child.

It depends on what one considers to be the alternative.   For example, a digital device will not make up for the lack of a teacher; nor is there any evidence to suggest that the materials on a digital device is any better than material in a physical textbook.

The "kid in Turkana" example has been peddled quite a bit by GoK types.    As a matter of fact, the kid in Turkana is the worst possible example to use in such cases, because he or she has more serious problems: malnutrition and its effects.    Stunting in under-5 children is a serious problem in Kenya, and effects on body and brain development cannot be reversed; after age 5, hunger continues to be a problem for the kid in Turkana.

There are numerous studies on the relevant connections.    A random one:

The education of children all over the world is being held back by malnutrition. In humanitarian terms, it makes no sense that the children who manage to get to school cannot benefit fully from their education, because they are already malnourished, because they are currently hungry, or because of infection. Equally, from the educators' view point, dealing with severely limited resources means that the best efficiency must be obtained; yet it is now clear that educational efficiency is badly hampered by malnutrition and ill health amongst school children. Nearly 90% of the world's school children will be in developing countries by the year 2000, yet many of these will be physically ill prepared for school, will have poor attention, and will drop out - and nutrition plays a part in all this.
http://www.unsystem.org/scn/archives/scnnews05/ch1.htm

It is doubtful that laptops and tablets will help in making up for such fundamental aspects of Grim Reality.

I can't argue with that.   I know we generally agree that such issues are depressing to have to still be dealing with 50+ years after independence. 

But if one is to judge the program purely on the basis of its goals, you can still agree that it is not ill-advised, even when there are other more pressing issues.  They can be treated as orthogonal issues - more-so where they are likely to remain a constant, for various annoying reasons, with or without the program. 

Yes, it is a bad thing, and not just because of the inefficient use of scarce money.    It is bad because the parents of such kids are basically being conned: the government having failed to meet its obligations with regard to teachers and facilities has chosen to lead parents to believe that somehow the use of technology will make up for all that.    And the worst part of the con is that this is being done for political reasons and a bit of kula nyama, which is why the Education ministry is very sketchy on what this is all about.   

I think we have to brace ourselves to meza mate as the usual suspects kula nyama.  And that is where I see the real disaster with this program.  As with many other issues in Kenya, e.g. constitution, fight against corruption etc the idea is dead-in-the-water when the rubber hits the road.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »
Of course digital books :D :D :D

You do pictures as well?  In that case, given your sort of imagination and fondness for dishing up fiction, have you ever considered writing children's storybooks? You'd make a killing! :D

Online RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2016, 06:31:19 PM »
It really shocking reading some stuff. Education is 16 plus years of investment into the future.Not now. Not the past. That future we know won't have books or paper for sure. That future we know for sure will be driven by ICT. Kenyan workforce in 2036 when the first lot of std 1 laptop kid graduate would be very competitive having all used computers at very early age. That alone without even knowing how they'll fair in other skills is a big plus. I am glad gov has gone ahead to do this.

It takes crazy ambition to launch a project like this nationally in an enviroment where schools don't have the facilities! I applaud Jubilee for daring to dream.

24,000 primary schools connected to electricity and now ready to get 1.2m devices with 70,000 teachers already ICT trained. Amazing work done here. And you're going on & on that 17B could have been spend better buying books or paying teachers? cost-benefit analysis without crunching any numbers would favour tablets by FAAAAAAR.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000217955/cs-joe-mucheru-says-pupils-in-24-000-schools-to-get-tablets

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2016, 09:37:08 PM »
I agree with that.  I subscribe fully to the notion that nothing can be an adequate replacement for human-to-human interaction when it comes to learning.  Given a choice, I will take a great teacher with papyrus paper and feather pen over a gadget chokeful with educational materials and an average teacher.  Any day. 

In an ideal situation, I would have a system not unlike what we have here - access to technology is there but always supplementing human teaching.  You learn something in class and either you do a field trip, or you get online for some exercises and reinforcement. 

I think that is what they are trying to do in Kenya.  But they have to take it one step further because the kids don't have access to basic resources e.g. a computer with an internet connection at home, like in the developed countries.  So they give them a tablet loaded with educational material - to be fair I am a bit fuzzy on the actual mechanics or workflow. 

That they are doing this, does not seem like a problem per se.  It is only bad if it is conceived as a workaround to fixing the fundamentals.  Even if they had the fundamentals down, this program would still be a good idea in the sense of the advantages I highlight in paragraph 2.  In the absence of the fundamentals, it is still better than the alternative(in practice, not in principle) -  as a sort of consolation.

I see nothing wrong with the basic idea of giving out tablets loaded with educational material.   The fundamental issue, as I see it, is that there are scarce resources to be allocated, and people should therefore consider what is the best possible allocation.

So, the first question is whether educational material on a digital device is somehow better or cheaper than educational material in print form.     In particular, have the long-term costs been considered in Kenya? (I am not aware that there has even been an attempt to look beyond Year 1.).    On such, Toyama notes that

The most common error in computing costs is to assume that hardware and software are the dominant costs of technology. In reality, the total cost of ownership (TCO) for information technology is comfortably several times the cost of hardware, with a range of 5-10x being a good rule of thumb. Beyond hardware, necessary costs include costs of distribution, maintenance, power infrastructure, teacher training, repair and replacement, and curriculum integration

The second problem I see is that this, being a con, is not being sold as just "educational materials on a tablet".  Rather, there are all sorts of claims about how this will transform Kenya---knowledge economy, services, blah blah blah---how parents will have their kids turn out to be Bill Gates/Zuckerberg (each bring in US$ 10 billion per year), etc.    And people actually buy and believe this stuff!   It is actually near-tragic, given that the people buying the con are those most in need of basics and fundamentals that will actually make a difference.

Toyama also states that:

Pro-Technology Rhetoric 1: 21st-century skills require 21st-century technologies. The modern world uses e-mail, PowerPoint, and filing systems. Computers teach you those skills.

Reality:Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmetic

Indeed, as a matter of fact, an observation of ICT over two decades (or even just a decade) shows at least  two things:

(a) the field changes quite rapidly, and
(b) (more significantly) the end result of these changes are that people actually need to know less about computers in order to make effective use of them.

So the idea being peddled by supporters of this program---that giving laptops/tablets to kids in Std. 1 is somehow preparing them for a technological world 20 years from now---is simple-minded idiocy (on the part of the True Believers).   What exactly are the kids do with these tablets that will make them "21st Century" types? As has been noted, simply saying "oh, this is modern technology, and therefore!" is not good enough.   (Ref: Toyama's comment on Silicon Valley's "upper crust" working to keep these things away from their kids.)

And bad ideas simply lead to other bad ideas: universities will now get into the business of assembling tablets and laptops!, university IT graduates will now get jobs on assembly lines!   

I would consider the Peru example not so much an indictment of the program as a conclusion that it is generally neutral.  Even then there are some caveats as shown below.  Does it mean the conclusion may be better than neutral if they had setup the gadgets with relevant educational material?

This was considered in the study, and the report briefly looks the possibility of

software aligned with Math and Language curriculum ... computer programs that diagnose student's skills in sub-areas and adjusts contents and contents and exercises in order to focus on where the student shows weaknesses.

The authors think that there is "the possibility of positive effects of substantial magnitude" but state that the evidence for that is "not overwhelmingly positive".   A statement buried in the footnote adds to that:

Still, there is no evidence showing the long lasting academic benefits of this type of software.

The authors then state that the alternative to such dubious software is to focus on specific software and a "strong component on teacher professional development".   (See also studies on the even more ambitious Uruguay programme---Plan Ceibal---and conclusions on the role of teachers.)   And further down in the report there is this:

However, to improve learning in Math and Language, there is a need for high-quality instruction.   

On:

There would even appear to be some cognitive gains.

Yes, there are.   But, as I have noted above, under-5 stunting is a serious problem in Kenya, with irreversible damage to cognitive abilities; to my mind, ensuring that kids start school with fully functional brains is better than hoping that tablets will somehow undo what cannot be undone.

Also, with the "positive gains in cognitive skills" and with consideration of possible improvements in other areas, the Peruvian report has this:

Still, governments should consider alternative uses of public funds before implementing large-scale technology in education programs.  In particular, in poor countries where teachers' salaries are low, the opportunity costs of implementing (capital-intensive) technology programs may be substantial compared with alternative labor-intensive education interventions including reductions in class size and professional development.

Is there any evidence that GoK has seriously looked into such matters?

But if one is to judge the program purely on the basis of its goals, you can still agree that it is not ill-advised, even when there are other more pressing issues.  They can be treated as orthogonal issues - more-so where they are likely to remain a constant, for various annoying reasons, with or without the program. 

My view is that they are ill-advised precisely because there are more pressing issues.   In theory, these can be treated as "orthogonal issues"; but, in practice, limitations in resources means that the nominal "independence" in "orthogonal" doesn't really exist.    Before high-tech, Kenyans school kids are more in need of proper basic nutrition, clean water (think of the numerous easily-preventable diseases that keep kids out of school and incapable of learning), walls, roofs, toilets (look at the effects of shit-borne diseases), shoes etc to keep away jiggers, and so on and so forth.   What we have here is just yet another example of the misplaced priorities that have bedeviled the continent for the last 50+ years.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2016, 12:43:56 AM »
This just in: Kenya the World Leader  :D

Principal Secretary, state department of devolution Mrs RV Pundit Ms. Mwanamaka Mabruki ... said the digital literacy program has placed Kenya as a global leader, pace setter and ICT hub, adding that already, several countries have visited the country to benchmark on the programme for their own use.
http://kenyanewsagency.go.ke/en/digital-learning-devices-to-be-produced-locally/

Really. Seriously.   And all this just from the few thousand tablets that have been given to kids in Std. 1!   I can see why 16 to 20 years from now will be even better. Thousands of Gates/Zuckerbergs, each doing billions per year ....  :D

And earlier in Turkana land:

Turkana County Director of Education Nelson Sifuna said gone were the days when marginalised areas like Turkana were left behind, noting that the laptop project was a true reflection that all children in Kenya were are and are in a position to effectively compete.
http://www.nation.co.ke/counties/turkana/Turkana-tablets-digital-learning/1183330-3197276-rbpcme/index.html

but there was also another view:

hunger, insecurity
http://kenyanewsagency.go.ke/en/deploy-teachers-in-turkana-mp-demands/

We are also told that

According to education stakeholders, enrolment is expected to go up as more learners are motivated to go to school by the digital learning programme.
http://www.nation.co.ke/counties/turkana/Turkana-tablets-digital-learning/1183330-3197276-rbpcme/index.html

But sometimes there are even stronger attractions:

Turkana County is experiencing an acute shortage of relief food in schools as thousands of children are attracted by the ongoing free school feeding programme.
County Education executive Ms Margaret Kuchal said that since World Food Programme stopped feeding programme to children at satellite Early Childhood Development (ECD) centres, most children are now joining nearby schools for food and not to learn.
http://reliefweb.int/report/kenya/relief-food-shortage-affects-schools-turkana

They now have tablets.   Here comes the 21st!