Author Topic: Kenya starting to turn the corner....on some key indicators  (Read 1894 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Kenya starting to turn the corner....on some key indicators
« on: April 13, 2016, 11:55:15 AM »
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kenya-winning-war-on-school-dropout-rate/-/1056/3156600/-/p8is1u/-/index.html

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: Kenya starting to turn the corner....on some key indicators
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 02:53:10 PM »
Most students drop out because the can't afford. You'll be surprised how far shs1000 goes. I have students whose parents can't afford she 1000 a year.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 02:57:24 PM »
We need to make schooling until university level compulsory and totally free. This the most important denominator in the fortunes of anyone. Whether they get jobs or end up in informal sector....the more educated one is...the better decision she or he makes.
Most students drop out because the can't afford. You'll be surprised how far shs1000 goes. I have students whose parents can't afford she 1000 a year.

Offline yulemsee

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:58 PM »
We need to make schooling until university level compulsory and totally free. This the most important denominator in the fortunes of anyone. Whether they get jobs or end up in informal sector....the more educated one is...the better decision she or he makes.

I think it's impossible and I also don't think it would make economic sense for each student to get a degree. A German style apprenticeship program would work great in the technical jobs e.g mechanics than a university degree or diploma. Economists have done studies in the USA that seem to confirm the increased no. of people who are getting degrees now as compares to the 70s hasn't boosted productivity much.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 11:59:38 PM »
Turning a corner for me means all eligible kids going to school FREE. No this, that, Mara bring a can of corn, Mara bring 1k sijui for what, etc.
Most of all laws enforced without regard to who you are.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »
I agree maybe compulsory education till form 4 . But free education entirely.
I think it's impossible and I also don't think it would make economic sense for each student to get a degree. A German style apprenticeship program would work great in the technical jobs e.g mechanics than a university degree or diploma. Economists have done studies in the USA that seem to confirm the increased no. of people who are getting degrees now as compares to the 70s hasn't boosted productivity much.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 09:32:36 AM »
80% of kids going to high school is very good.
Turning a corner for me means all eligible kids going to school FREE. No this, that, Mara bring a can of corn, Mara bring 1k sijui for what, etc.
Most of all laws enforced without regard to who you are.