Author Topic: Water problem...something need to be done here  (Read 3959 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Water problem...something need to be done here
« on: March 23, 2016, 12:14:51 PM »
Martha Karau water bill and efforts during her tenure just ended up producing gazillion water management bodies...but only 1 out 8 kenyans have piped water in 2016.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: Water problem...something need to be done here
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
Martha Karau water bill and efforts during her tenure just ended up producing gazillion water management bodies...but only 1 out 8 kenyans have piped water in 2016.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
I wonder why the private sector has not done this. I know in Nairobi and it's outskirt most of piped water is from someone borehole. If Kenyans are willing to spend billions in bottled water (see Keringeti/dasani/many brands out there), I imagine they are willing to spend x times more on clean piped water.  In our shags we have a failed water project that was started in 80s...upto today...we don't have water..despite attempt by EU something project and county gov...meanwhile just across the roads...the tea companies have had their own running water since colonial period.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:00:27 PM »
I wonder why the private sector has not done this. I know in Nairobi and it's outskirt most of piped water is from someone borehole. If Kenyans are willing to spend billions in bottled water (see Keringeti/dasani/many brands out there), I imagine they are willing to spend x times more on clean piped water.  In our shags we have a failed water project that was started in 80s...upto today...we don't have water..despite attempt by EU something project and county gov...meanwhile just across the roads...the tea companies have had their own running water since colonial period.

Probably because historically---and probably rightly so---most people view running water as one of the basic services for which they pay taxes.    And that view remains because the basic infrastructure (from colonial times) was provided by the government.  I imagine that for the private sector the returns on doing the infrastructure is not worth it or at least not as profitable as purveying bottled water.     

I think this is one instance where a private-public partnership might be the way to go.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »
If guys selling water using mkokoteni or donkey carts (which is now true even in ushago) are making a profit; I think someone out there can also make profit; Of course the problem is laying all those pipes and then gov come one day and give "free unreliable" water.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:31:44 PM »
If guys selling water using mkokoteni or donkey carts (which is now true even in ushago) are making a profit; I think someone out there can also make profit; Of course the problem is laying all those pipes and then gov come one day and give "free unreliable" water.

When it comes to ushago, I think that a good initial step would be to dig a few wells here and there that a few homesteads could then rely on.   Maybe even lay a few "short-range" pipes with a small pump.   The labour should not be that expensive, given the numbering of young, muscular men who spend their days loitering by the roadside.    As for the government, I wouldn't count on that; I doubt that anyone in the cities or county "capitals" seriously thinks of the little man in the "reserves".

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 03:49:02 PM »
in my area the water project under a private company is doing a splendid job and everyone is happy with the arrangement.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 03:52:19 PM »

When it comes to ushago, I think that a good initial step would be to dig a few wells here and there that a few homesteads could then rely on.   Maybe even lay a few "short-range" pipes with a small pump.   The labour should not be that expensive, given the numbering of young, muscular men who spend their days loitering by the roadside.    As for the government, I wouldn't count on that; I doubt that anyone in the cities or county "capitals" seriously thinks of the little man in the "reserves".

Boreholes are all over the place especially in central but the locals are still waiting for government to develop the network which is stupid. In the 1980s before madness engulfed Kenyans most water projects were run very efficiently with very little government help. All I remember is that the MOH would give an area health center a generator and the community would use the generator to pump water from community built dam/reservoir. it is a matter of elites working with locals to come with solution and stop the over reliance of GOK

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
Exactly. Now you have power everywhere and we cannot pump and pipe clean water?
Boreholes are all over the place especially in central but the locals are still waiting for government to develop the network which is stupid. In the 1980s before madness engulfed Kenyans most water projects were run very efficiently with very little government help. All I remember is that the MOH would give an area health center a generator and the community would use the generator to pump water from community built dam/reservoir. it is a matter of elites working with locals to come with solution and stop the over reliance of GOK

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
Nyeri they use dams. There are huge dams in othaya and mathira that supply water to each homestead that has paid for connection, meter included. Since the dams are constructed on the high grounds( next to aberdare and mt. kenya) there's no need to pump , the system uses gravity. Now I believe they're working on irrigation water.  Getting the necessary  regulation to install pipes might be a problem that might be hindering private investment in the sector. The next thing it should be home  piped gas in most modern gated communities( kihingo gas is piped).

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 01:29:29 PM »
Across Central Kenya the reforms by Martha Karua have really borne fruit. CDF has also helped using the gravity force advantage. The main problem outstanding now is how to manage the waste water. Given, even Nairobi is unable to handle its sewerage, this is going to be and already is, a very big headache for growing urban centres mushrooming all over the country.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »
The little I know from Central (Embu) is that water comes say 1 day a week in this village; another day for the next village, and you have to store the water somehow. The water itself is strictly rationed so people don't irrigate their land.

I think we need to address with serious the water problem. This is simpliest of our infrastructural needs. Make sure every time you open a tap, you can get cheap water flowing with enough pressure.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »
The little I know from Central (Embu) is that water comes say 1 day a week in this village; another day for the next village, and you have to store the water somehow. The water itself is strictly rationed so people don't irrigate their land.

I think we need to address with serious the water problem. This is simpliest of our infrastructural needs. Make sure every time you open a tap, you can get cheap water flowing with enough pressure.

Not to mention protection of water towers.  Kenya is already critically short of water.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
I don't buy the idea that kenya is short of water. If desert countries have enough water...we clearly are not water deficient. The amount of water that we lose during our rain seasons is immense..all of which goes directly to lakes and oceans...when it could be dammed and used.

The issues remain for me lack of proper infrastructure and investment in the water sector.

Not to mention protection of water towers.  Kenya is already critically short of water.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
Rural setting even in USA presents a lot of problems in infrastructure provision. Here in USA some rural communities those on Farm Land rely on well water because local water companies have no interest in this marker. We just have to contend with the fact that the scattered living in rural Kenya is unique and presents a lot of challenges in providing water and other utilities