Author Topic: “Will a Man Rob God?” (Malachi 3:8)  (Read 20487 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
“Will a Man Rob God?” (Malachi 3:8)
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
kadame & bittertruth et all,

I doubt you will run into a more comprehensive coverage of tithing from pre-Mosaic law, in the Mosaic law and post-Mosaic
http://www.biblicalfoundations.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/32-Tithing1.pdf
Warning, it is so thorough and I suggest you take your time to go through the references and marginal notes. All over sudden, my biggest worry is condensing tithing into a chapter in my book
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kababe

• Mega superstar
Re: “Will a Man Rob God?” (Malachi 3:8)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
Will look at it.

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:28 AM »
bittertruth,
I would welcome you to point out part or parts of this document are are FALSE for start

Melchizedek did three things
1. He refreshed Abraham and his team with bread and wine
2. He received a tithe of Abraham's war spoils
3. He blessed Abraham

Contrast is between Levitical priesthood and Jesus priesthood. Note that Abraham ultimately gave away ALL the spoils of wars among the kings. I wish evangelicals taught 100% giving away and not 10%

If Jesus is a High Priest,how is tithing 10% income to a church/pastor tithing to Jesus? Are pastors priests? NT theology tells you that the whole body of Christ is a Kingdom of Priests

1 Peter 2:9 King James Version (KJV)
9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Revelation 1:6 King James Version (KJV)

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen

Revelation 5:9-11 King James Version (KJV)
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

It has also been pointed out to you that the maximum God required offering out of war spoils was much less (Numbers 31:28 read all of chapter 31). Whatever Abraham did was exceptional and the fact it is described is nor prescription of the same over Christians. Can I argue that I should only tithe windfall/exceptional incomes?

About your statement that we should do MORE than the OT, you need to agree first that their cumulative tithe per annum was over 20% and not your 10%. Tithing as taught in the evangelicals is not a call to outdo those who were under OT, it is a call to MATCH OT.
And again it is not a question of who should give more, but rather under NT, nobody should give under compulsion;

I can't on one hand prescribe a percentage and on the other hand let you decide what you will give. If you can't see the illogic of a non compulsive tithing, I can't help you
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.