Author Topic: Uhuru Mashujaa Day 2015 speech of shame  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
Uhuru Mashujaa Day 2015 speech of shame
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:13:28 AM »
Guy must have some pretty big kahunas to read this speech with a poker face

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/ktnnews/?videoID=2000099513&video_title=president-uhuru-kenyatta-s-speech-at-the-2015-mashujaa-day-celebrations

"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Uhuru Mashujaa Day 2015 speech of shame
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »
I might have a different idea of the Kenyan population than kamwana.  Isn't it something like 45 million?  If that's the case, then the connected are not 50%.  Unless he means households but was too lazy and drunk to proofread.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:33:13 AM »
Of course it always refer to household. Why would you think otherwise. We have 45m folk..with average of 5-6 members in HH--and that tell you we have 10-12m hh.
I might have a different idea of the Kenyan population than kamwana.  Isn't it something like 45 million?  If that's the case, then the connected are not 50%.  Unless he means households but was too lazy and drunk to proofread.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 01:18:45 PM »

It's definitely funny to read some of these "Jubilee achievements".   As an example:

We have also increased access to ARVs from 600,000 people when we came to office to 850,000 Kenyans covered today. Our target is to cover an additional 600,000; meaning that 90% of Kenyans living with HIV will be given treatment.

What he really means is that USAID and others are doing a great job (i.e. free money), but that is not to be acknowledged or any signs of gratitude shown.   Just from the USA PEPFAR:

744,116229,390 6.5 million711,43657,151 pregnant women living with HIV/AIDS to reduce the risk of mother-to-child transmission

Similar freebies for malaria etc. 

It's amusing to see plans for Kenya being developed in far away countries and then have some Kenyan say "we plan to do this and that".
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »

It's definitely funny to read some of these "Jubilee achievements".   As an example:

We have also increased access to ARVs from 600,000 people when we came to office to 850,000 Kenyans covered today. Our target is to cover an additional 600,000; meaning that 90% of Kenyans living with HIV will be given treatment.

What he really means is that USAID and others are doing a great job (i.e. free money), but that is not to be acknowledged or any signs of gratitude shown.   Just from the USA PEPFAR:

744,116229,390 6.5 million711,43657,151 pregnant women living with HIV/AIDS to reduce the risk of mother-to-child transmission

It's amusing to see plans for Kenya being developed in far away countries and then have some Kenyan say "we plan to do this and that".

I find it strange that the president thought of citing number of those on ARVs as an achievement without even a mention of efforts to combat HIV which causes AIDS. As a Christian I would cite moral standards as a principal pillar here. That includes faithfulness in marriage. Jubilee would make more sense by setting up policies that encourage spouses to work in the same city for example.
I also find it curious that he did not mention the continued erosion of respect for institutions except the presidency. Judiciary, police, parliament and so on are under attack from all quarters by his office especially. And why pretend to appeal to parliament to tame itself on media laws when in the same breath he encourages Kenyans to defy ICC? I thought tyranny of numbers still lived there.
BTW Moonki, that talk about male circumcision as a prevention of HIV is snake oil voodoo.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
I approve of this one.
Over 80,000 businesses have registered by Youth, Women and persons with disability since 2013. Of these, over 30,000 have received business from Government in last year totalling over 30 billion shillings. We are sorting out challenge of registration and seek to streamline this. All Ministries must ensure that once goods are delivered and invoices raised, there is no reason why they should not be paid in 2 weeks considering they have borrowed.
kamwana's real omission is failure to mention how much these newly registered businesses have contributed to job creation, public savings, improved quality of service, anything good etc as opposed to new avenues to sell wanjiku hot-air while smiling all the way to the bank(s).
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »
This was a good one:

Security

We have added 2,400 new vehicles to the police fleet, significantly enhancing mobility.

Really.   That's it.    That's the most noteworthy thing that can be said on what the government has done about security in a place like Kenya.   

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 08:53:02 AM »
Pepfar and other partners in fight against HIV are working with or under NASCOP. If it was USAID working with NGOS entirely; then it would be dishonest to quote the figures.The police leasing arraignment is yet another very great idea. Nowadays police have running vehicles. 2,400 is about a vehicle or two in every police stations..all serviced, motor-able year around..compared the situation before when vehicles were mostly in yard broken down.. Uhuru has his own failures..that include insecurity (mostly due to Somalia war), complete near collapse of tourism and corruption..but he has done good job elsewhere..as the figures he quotes illustrate.

As a general point, I like the fact that we are now discussing figures...rather than generic statement. Raila and CORD should respond to dispute those figures.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »
Pepfar and other partners in fight against HIV are working with or under NASCOP.

The point is that the provision of ARVs is almost entirely due to foreign funding (free money) from others, and most of it from the USA.    To claim that as a Jubilee achievement is very funny, given that the funding has been going on for much longer than Jubilee has been around.  To say that Jubilee government is trying to do more is similarly funny; it is those foreign funders that are planning to do more.  The only thing Jubilee can say it that it is not getting in the way.

The police leasing arraignment is yet another very great idea. Nowadays police have running vehicles. 2,400 is about a vehicle or two in every police stations..all serviced, motor-able year around..

You missed my point.   Here it is explicitly: How many terrorists attacks has Kenya had in the last couple of years?   Mpeketoni, Westgate, Mandera, etc.   How many people have been killed or displaced through what are normally called "routine tribal clashes"?    Tana River, Turkana land, Pokot, etc.?   And even cops are not safe: Baragoi.  One could go on and on about insecurity in Kenya.

And with all that, the only thing the government can say is that it has bought some cars !?!  How would any of those cars help in situations such as the above? 

In any case, how do new police cars help when police officers themselves are criminals?   

criminal enterprise where tribalism, favouritism and the search for bribes has replaced the vaunted motto of providing service to all, Utumumishi Kwa Wote.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Police-Crisis-Security-Reforms-Investigation/-/1056/2776402/-/79r93t/-/index.html

What the Kenyan police force needs is reform, not cars.  What is Jubilee doing about that?  (And, by the way,  don't forget the little matter of petrol, which has been a problem, even when/where there were functional cars.)

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
This was a good one:

Security

We have added 2,400 new vehicles to the police fleet, significantly enhancing mobility.

Really.   That's it.    That's the most noteworthy thing that can be said on what the government has done about security in a place like Kenya.   
What are the leases costing Wanjiku? would be an appropriate question for a government that is not above padding costs by factors in the tens.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:19:14 PM »
The more I look at it, the more I think the guy didn't read the speech beforehand or give it much thought.   

Fellow Kenyans,

We continue to face a number of challenges ranging from terrorism, to crime affecting our homes and neighborhoods. Terrorism and radicalization of our youth represents an existential threat to our young nation. Ethnic and clan conflicts, cattle rustling, land, boundary and resource disputes continue to undermine peace and security. Illicit brews, drugs, poaching and proliferation of illegal arms, human trafficking, and organized criminal gangs are a clear and present danger to law and order in the country.

Seems quite grim.

These challenges threaten to make nonsense of our individual and collective efforts and put all of our achievements at risk.

Very grim indeed.

So what is the government doing about all that?  According to His Excellency,  to "highlight a few achievements of our Government":

Security

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 09:09:18 PM »
In addition to not reading the speech beforehand, what was he thinking when he says
NYS over 100,000 community Youth engaged in various programmes. The NYS School has expanded from a capacity of 4,000 to 30,000 young men and women undergoing various vocational training. Yes, there are problems that have arisen but we shall sort them out.
Given that there is no risk of anyone taking responsibility for the scam, does sorting out mean returning the money to wanjiku?  Or is it just an expression of his belief that Wanjiku is a fool?

Harriet Tubman

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »

Uhuru gets away with these histrionic statements lauding what you refer to as "Jubilee achievements" for two reasons: Firstly, a pliant media which fail to hold him to account when he makes such patently false statements and, secondly, an abysmally ignorant Kenyan populace that cannot discern truth from fiction.

Actually, take away the vast sums of aid money disbursed to Kenya by the US, Japan, the UK, and the Scandinavians, Kenyans would have the dismal human development indicators akin to Papua New Guinea or South Sudan.