Author Topic: Are Teachers Justified to ask for more pay?  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Higgins the genius

• VIP
  • Superstar
Are Teachers Justified to ask for more pay?
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:28:12 PM »
Picture this, teachers wanted a 200% increment after an exhausting deal promised by Moi 18 years ago. Government said it could not afford 200% but only 50-60%. This was in a court sanctioned negotiations.
The teachers agreed to compromise on their stand being the patriotic lot that they are.
Government through TSC said there was no money and went to court.
The court held that the government should heed to their word and make true their promise to teachers. The government refused.
The Supreme Court upheld the industrial court ruling.
U.K said "can't pay, won't pay" thereby disrespecting the Supreme Court that installed him to the Presidency.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: Are Teachers Justified to ask for more pay?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:52:16 PM »
Uhuru has no respect for any law unless it favors him.
They agreed on it so it should be paid.
Its been going on for a long time.
Its bad law but not all laws are good.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »
as long as you have tribal numbers and a docile population as a politician in power in Africa you can do ALL you want .... problem is the 'goodwill' is mainly used for creating more national problems than solving them (passion is mainly exhibited when solving personal problems and crude wealth accumulation)
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:39:30 PM »
Closing schools does not make the issue disappear!!
Only postpones dealing with the issue

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 04:18:08 AM »
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Uhuru-rules-out-pay-rise-for-teachers/-/1064/2878398/-/trf21u/-/index.html

Quite a speech.   His Excellency apparently started with a strong comment on the cost of living and then concluded with seemingly random observations on salaries elsewhere.   Seemingly clueless of any other connection between pay and cost of living.    Given the Alice-In-Wonderland logic, perhaps the teachers should tell him that increasing their salaries will reduce  the cost of living in Burundi, Uganda, or wherever.

But the closure supposedly has nothing to do with the cost of living.   The reasoning is that the closure will improve security in schools.   If there has been some trouble in a few public  schools, is closing all of them the first solution that should come to mind?   What security-enhancing  measures are to be undertaken before the inevitable re-opening?  And how does closing private schools, where things seemed to proceeding as usual, improve the security in public schools?

Still, it is reported that:

"He also called for sobriety".

Perhaps this is all just one big joke.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
I have never supported these greedy salary increments. I was recently accused of having become a Jubilee supporter for opposing the madness by teachers. The truth is finally the government is seeing what I have always said.

I would like that money pumped in to Education but not to the teachers.

1. It should finance smaller class sizes not more than 14 students per class
2. It should improve the facilities so that ALL schools have the same physical standards
3. Because of #1, more teachers be recruited and deployed
4. End discrimination against students attending private schools
5. Aim at eliminating boarding schools by strengthening all schools to remove the need to travel and live far from home for education.

Like I offered before, I can get rid of the stupid trade unions while promoting professional bodies for teachers. KNUT and KUPPET have outlived their usefulness and should transform in to banks and stop pretending to know anything about Education.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
I have never supported these greedy salary increments. I was recently accused of having become a Jubilee supporter for opposing the madness by teachers. The truth is finally the government is seeing what I have always said.

2. It should improve the facilities so that ALL schools have the same physical standards
5. Aim at eliminating boarding schools by strengthening all schools to remove the need to travel and live far from home for education.

Like I offered before, I can get rid of the stupid trade unions while promoting professional bodies for teachers. KNUT and KUPPET have outlived their usefulness and should transform in to banks and stop pretending to know anything about Education.
A class size of 14 is too small.  I don't think there is even a country in the OECD with an average class size that small.  I don't know what the current size is.  But for Kenya, I think 30 to 40 isn't bad.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 04:33:39 PM »
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WwdbsKIigevmY_vf1mEm64eRSBksZr05kfzBx7nfQGo/edit?hl=en_GB#gid=0

No teacher wants a class size of 60 plus you find in some primary schools in Kenya. 14 is the ideal number. Note that a month may have about 21 working days.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »

A class size of 14 is too small.  I don't think there is even a country in the OECD with an average class size that small.  I don't know what the current size is.  But for Kenya, I think 30 to 40 isn't bad.

The OECD average would be something like 20.   

A couple of years ago, I looked at an OECD report on the effects of reductions in class size.  The conclusion contradicts Omollo: it was that generally increasing the quality of teaching was a better way to improve student performance than reducing class size.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »
Like all things, there are limitations. So you could be right.

Smaller class sizes reduce the pressure on teachers and is a better option than asking for huge amounts of cash to put in teachers' pockets. That is my reasoning.
The OECD average would be something like 20.   

A couple of years ago, I looked at an OECD report on the effects of reductions in class size.  The conclusion contradicts Omollo: it was that generally increasing the quality of teaching was a better way to improve student performance than reducing class size.