Author Topic: Let's Pray  (Read 5321 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Let's Pray
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:27:18 PM »
Good morning church,
1John 1:2 (KJV)
 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth

I lost count of the many times this verse has been hammered down on me by ministers who oversell the Cross by promising what God has not promised.

The argument goes like" 'God does not wish you to be sick,depressed,broke,poor..., He wishes you to PROSPER'. They then proceed to dig into the Greek behind 'prosper' and remind you that soul prospering is spiritual growth while the rest are material prosperity. There is no way the inspired author could have wished you stuff God does not want you to possess, right?

Is it the will of God for believers to be healthy and rich? Did Jesus become flesh and hang on the cross so we can be rich and healthy? Or in other words, is material prosperity any measure of our spiritual wellbeing?

I will be sharing more on this in the coming Lord's Day(s); the essential gospel of our Lord Jesus.

Have a prosperous Lord's Day as we worship the Father of Lights (James 1:16)
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
Re: Let's Pray
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Is it the will of God for believers to be healthy and rich? Did Jesus become flesh and hang on the cross so we can be rich and healthy? Or in other words, is material prosperity any measure of our spiritual wellbeing?

While I do not believe, material wealth is a measure of spiritual well being, I do believe that God wanst us to have all the desires of our hearts, of which health and wealth are so much a part of........... as long as its not contrary to his purpose.  Jesus came, so we may have life. When he left, he told us to "ask for anything in his mane and it would be given unto us. I don't really know what bashers of prosperity gospel usually hope to achieve. To me health and wealth are things most human beings wish to attain a certain level of. Of course it doesn't mean that if you don't achieve them, you are of little faith, but if those are things you wish for, there is nothing wrong in praying for them.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi