Author Topic: Stephjoy school fire - Ban boarding schools  (Read 3668 times)

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
Stephjoy school fire - Ban boarding schools
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Students-killed-in-school-arson-horror/-/1056/2818618/-/buf955/-/index.html

Assuming its a modest (provincial) boys' school with 1,000 students, there will be about 10 classrooms, three labs (Chemistry, Physics and Biology). There will also be four or five dormitories accommodating 300 each. Many of us are called each year to harambees for building new dormitories, an unnecessary expense and a death trap as we can see. Of course alongside the overpriced school buses with financing from Sam Con. Well equipped public schools can help reinstate parental control and reduce chances of frenzied kids burning innocent colleagues to escape mock exams. Kaimenyi should be reminded that KNEC also offers mock exams under another banner. Everything about KNEC is a mockery.

As a priority, each county should use CDF to build new schools. That is assuming the facilities used for boarding to be converted to classrooms will not be enough. Parents who insist on boarding can patronise academies like Braeburn and Greensted.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: Stephjoy school fire - Ban boarding schools
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 02:42:32 PM »
After 50years and counting, fire fighting equipment is a luxury....
Kudos Daily bread, education has been abandoned at the expense of losing a future generation.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
I am sure there are fire codes that were not adhered to.  There is probably no point asking when an inspection was last made to ensure that.  It is just by the grace of God, that many of us did not end up like those two kids.  There will be condolences, condemnations.  All the right things will be said.  Then life will go back to "normal" until the same shit happens again.  It reminds me a bit of America and letting any Tom, Dick and Harry have guns.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 06:34:33 PM »
Education has become a luxury. I remember attending public school in Kenya, but nowadays am told the level of education has significantly gone down. Policy makers dont have a stake in it. THey have their kids in private schools so they have no idea what goes on in these schools. I am told most teachers are busy trying to build their own businesses so prepping for class is a luxury.
Safety is another thing. There is nothing as bad as being told your kid died ina fire. Isnt there supposed to be a watchman guarding these kids against such?

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »
Nobody will touch this debate until another tragedy occurs. That is the bigger tragedy.

Education has become a luxury. I remember attending public school in Kenya, but nowadays am told the level of education has significantly gone down. Policy makers dont have a stake in it. THey have their kids in private schools so they have no idea what goes on in these schools. I am told most teachers are busy trying to build their own businesses so prepping for class is a luxury.
Safety is another thing. There is nothing as bad as being told your kid died ina fire. Isnt there supposed to be a watchman guarding these kids against such?
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 06:18:35 PM »
Nobody will touch this debate until another tragedy occurs. That is the bigger tragedy.

Exactly.  But even after the next tragedy, no one will do anything about it.  These are things I hate being right about.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
Education is the only thing that every country should provide to its children. Otherwise we can as well label them failures.

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
Ban boarding schools? Well yes I agree with that. These dens have become breeding grounds for other things which destroy young minds.

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 01:52:43 PM »
Ban boarding schools? Well yes I agree with that. These dens have become breeding grounds for other things which destroy young minds.
The problem seems really basic.  Locking kids in a dorm from outside with no provision for emergencies.  I would start off by making clear that it is criminal to do that.

You shouldn't be able to lock a free person in a building.

Harriet Tubman

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »
The problem seems really basic.  Locking kids in a dorm from outside with no provision for emergencies.  I would start off by making clear that it is criminal to do that.

Exactly. Are schools supposed to be prisons or what? And why is it that there is no mention anywhere of fire fighting equipment that are pretty much the standard in all public buildings (in the US at least)? There have been numerous fires in schools and so many kids have died. One would imagine the ministry of education would make it mandatory for a school to provide fire extinguishers, conduct fire drills and appoint fire marshals. This is very basic stuff and the cost is nothing compared to those school buses that you see all over town when there is music or drama festivals.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 03:36:18 AM »

Banning boarding schools is not the solution to the fire problem. These kind of kneejerk reactions help no-one. The building full of children must be locked to keep the kids safe, but it should be locked from the inside and there should be matrons in the building with the kids. There should be fire escape routes in all floors leading outside. Also, the buildings need not go past 2nd or 3rd floors to make escape easier. I went to a boarding school in Nairobi and it was the game changer in my life. To date that has been the defining point in my life and I would do it again and again.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi