Author Topic: Liberia facing an Existential threat.  (Read 21333 times)

Offline QueenAgrippa

• VIP
  • Regular
Liberia facing an Existential threat.
« on: September 10, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
The Ebola pandemic is pushing Liberia to the brink. The country is at a virtual standstill as all other affairs are pushed aside to battle the beast. The August infection rates seemed to register at hundreds per week. The first week of September has clocked the thousands, meaning hundreds of new infections per day. This trend will continue and by late October you could be looking at infections of tens of thousands per week. Get ready to see Rwanda-like images of Liberia on your TV screen by November 2014.

Sorry guys, I wish I could be optimistic but it's too late. Question is, who next? Of course Guinea and Sierra Leone are not as bad but they are not the ones to be worried.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Liberia facing an Existential threat.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
When this thing broke out I posted something and quickly deleted it. I was afraid to be accused of insensitivity. If I may restate roughly, the biggest impediment to the eradication of Ebola in Liberia will be the people.

In my life, I have never seen such badly behaved people as Liberians. They will refuse advice from their own doctors and nurses and turn to witchcraft and always listen to the White man however stupid. There is a chance of containing Ebola is Guinea and Sierra Leone but Liberia would be a hard nut to crack.

If you went to any African country and offered to fly everybody to America, a few people will turn down the offer. However in the case of Liberia: Everybody will get on board and the last person will not even dare take time to switch off the generator.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline QueenAgrippa

• VIP
  • Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:28 PM »
You actually gave me a chuckle. Don't know that many Liberians but I think I believe you considering how fast this thing has spread there compared to the neighboring countries which seem to somewhat have a lid on it. God help Liberia. Ever since the days of Sam Doe I'm scared of those people. I was a kid reading in the papers how they dragged him on the streets and thought to myself, what a world!

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »
I was stationed in Monrovia for a year and half. One of my last full time field positions. I one got fed up with the air conditioner and escaped the body guards and driver to take a walk on the beach. After all the Presidential Palace was on the beach not far away from our own offices.

I had ben walking for a while when I thought the smell that had been pervading the air had goten thicker. I stopped only to find myself in the middle of a public "toilet". I now noticed and understood why after lunch most Liberians rushed to the beach. It was a large open air choo. The tide came to clean it in a rather messy way and now I had just stepped in a hillock created by the tide which had not done a good job of its unofficial function.

It took a concerted effort to clean the shoes which I had insisted be dumped. The watchman inherited them as well as the trouser.

It is not uncommon to come across Liberians urinating on the roads; It is equally common to find well dressed men squatting on the roadside for the big one. I did ask why they can't go deeper in the woods. No! It is insecure. So it is done in the "bush" but in open view of all - children included.

When I found my predecessor had banned nationals from using the toilets, I unbanned them only to face resistance from wazungu. I was told harrowing stories of national staff mounting WCs and leaving shoes marks or aiming falsely and pissing on the floor.

I had a private meeting with them - African to others. I was shocked when they said I should let the "ban" continue and they weren't joking. An indoctrinated man is dangerous.

Then they will never stop eating monkeys and other creatures. You from East Africa where the forest is gone cannot appreciate the different primates on earth and Liberians do eat them. These things eat bats and other creatures that carry ebola and other viruses.

Another day. Let me clear the way for Kimani and vooke to insult me. see you later.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline QueenAgrippa

• VIP
  • Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
Geepsers! Reads like a script from a horror movie, I hope it's an exaggeration. We're you working for some kind of refugee agency?

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:42:19 PM »
Geepsers! Reads like a script from a horror movie, I hope it's an exaggeration. We're you working for some kind of refugee agency?
No. I had a role in the senior management of Disarmament, Demobilization of the ex-combatants and the Rehabilitation (DDR) of the same. Most of these were child soldiers or sex slaves or both.

Most people who came to Liberia believed they were entering a country run by freed slaves. They were quickly disabused of that serious misconception. Liberia is a typical black man's country only that in its case, everybody wants to migrate to the US.