Author Topic: MPs propose 5M Ksh as compensation to families of terror attacks  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
To me this is a crazy idea. I do not see the sense in it at all or is Kenya so rich? Maybe the govt should look for a terrorist insurance policy for all Kenyans.

The sponsor of the motion, Kieni MP Kanini Kega, said the lawmakers have dropped the censure motion to push for a law that would benefit the families of those killed in terrorist attacks in Kenya.

Mr Kega said the leaders arrived at the decision Thursday when they met at a Nairobi hotel.

He said the Bill would give Sh5 million in compensation to families of terrorist victims.

The national and county governments would contribute to the payment, he said.

The national government would be compelled to pay Sh3 million and the government of the county where the attack takes place would pay Sh2 million.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Kanini-Kega-drops-Duale-censure-motion/-/1064/2823402/-/vumqkt/-/index.html

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: MPs propose 5M Ksh as compensation to families of terror attacks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
I think if criminal or civil neglience is proven then gov has the liability; families should be compensated even now. Folks should start sueing Gok for lack of basic services such as security that can be proven to have adversely messed up their lives..it is different from expecting gok to give your house or food...but gok should be held responsible if it proven there was serious dereliction of duty.

The amount to be compensated should be decided by judges. Not all victims are the same. Family bread winner is not the same as small kid.

Victims should not care when GoK will get the money. GoK can set up an insurance for that.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »
Will the same apply to car accidents due to bad roads?
Where will it end?

I think if criminal or civil neglience is proven then gov has the liability; families should be compensated even now. Folks should start sueing Gok for lack of basic services such as security that can be proven to have adversely messed up their lives..it is different from expecting gok to give your house or food...but gok should be held responsible if it proven there was serious dereliction of duty.

The amount to be compensated should be decided by judges. Not all victims are the same. Family bread winner is not the same as small kid.

Victims should not care when GoK will get the money. GoK can set up an insurance for that.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
Yes. The cause of accident has to exclude everything else but the bad road. If you were driving fast or careless on bad road..you're to blame..but if a contractor makes a huge ditch and doesn't put a road signs...then gok or contractor is guilty..if Gok design a road that clearly cause road accident...like those nithi bridges..then it should pay and then re-design it. The same with terror. Gov has to show they did all they could considering all the constraints. This is therefore best decided by court of law, where both parties can argue, and the judge (who is like you and me) can make a rational decision...

The bill is therefore doing things upside down.....liability should be proven..before a court.

Where will it end?

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:17:25 PM »
I realize the establishment are dug into this so-called war on terror.  It was a bad idea.  This compensation talk is like a form of surrender to the notion that terror is now an accepted way of life.

Kenya needs to pull out of Somalia, even though it looks unlikely after Obama's visit.  Kenya needs to carefully weigh its interests and realize that they should not be subordinate to the US. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »
Finally, alleluia. This is good law.
But wait a minute, define a terror attack.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:19:11 PM »
A driver has the option of exercising caution when driving in Kenya.
Most choose not to.

Where will it end?