Author Topic: This is good policy...  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
This is good policy...
« on: August 18, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »
I hate seeing people suffer because they can t afford to pay for medical care.
Being poor should not be equal to death.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/mobile/?articleID=2000173204&story_title=kenya-receives-sh3-28-billion-loan-for-health-coverage

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: This is good policy...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
I don't like it. 

Here is why:

Healthcare is one of those things that should be devolved.  In fact I thought it was devolved.  Different regions are going to have different health priorities.  I gather these guys have gotten a loan to provide things like free maternity.  What happens when the money runs out, the creditor comes calling and women are still giving birth?

Even if one ignores the devolution issue, I don't see it as sustainable or wise. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »
Health workforce, Health Information Systems, Access to essential medicines, Health Financing, and Health Leadership and Governance in Kenya. It is also hoped that the loan is useful to address one of the most immediate health concerns in Kenya - Improving maternal, new-born, child and adolescent health.

"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »
And to add, rarely do Japs get it wrong. Their projects in kenya have always been well executed. Like the chinese.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »
One thing I would have liked to see was decentralization of advanced health services to other areas. Nairobi has enough already. A place like Kericho could have used these services. I guess mpigs are busy with other things rather than work to bring service closer to others.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:39:10 PM »
Health workforce, Health Information Systems, Access to essential medicines, Health Financing, and Health Leadership and Governance in Kenya. It is also hoped that the loan is useful to address one of the most immediate health concerns in Kenya - Improving maternal, new-born, child and adolescent health.

From what I gather healthcare is already devolved.  So this seems like a loan that at worst should be taken only with the approval of the counties.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »
Do practicing doctors need malpractice insurance on order to practice in Kenya? If not, who pays for malpractice? How about nurses?
Recently read of nursing who gave injections to kids who ended up disabled!!!
Sad