Author Topic: Let's Pray  (Read 7655 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Let's Pray
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:52:10 AM »
Good morning church,
Today I want to examine some commonly abused verses. We will start with one, cover a few in the next few weeks.
Hebrews 11:3 (NKJV)
3By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

There are several instances where Jesus rebuked his disciples for their 'little faith'-Matthew 6:30,8:26,14:31,16:8......and he praised 'great faith'-Matthew 8:10,15:28. And he exhorted the disciples to have faith-Matthew 17:20,21:21-22,Mark 11:22

Faith is desirable. Doubt, unbelief is not desirable. So when Christians land in Hebrews 11, a chapter that dwells at length with faith, and gives historical examples, they get excited. Look at the two verses I shared above v3

A common misreading goes like, 'God had FAITH in His word so much that whatever he spoke, it became. You man because you are created in His image, you too armed with sufficient faith, can speak words and they become'. From here, you are actually blamed for your poor lot. Are you sick? It is because you have not spoken health to your life. Are you broke? Speak wealth, and wealth shall pursue and overtake you....

But did God have faith in His word, and is that why His word was effective increasing matter out of nothing? The answer is NO. It us, the believers,the students of Genesis who upon reading Genesis account BELIEVE that He framed the world,made matter out of nothing. God does not require faith in anything. When He speaks, His Word is not effective because He believes in it, but rather because it is His Word!

Note again, '....by faith WE UNDERSTAND...'. Faith is how we understand, how we believe. How does Jesus raise a 4 days old Lazarus corpse? I know He did, I believe He did. I believe first, comprehend later if at all.

The strength of your faith is not merely the extent to which you believe something,it is also in the VALIDITY of that belief. Faith permits me to act as if something is certain even when I lack evidence. It allows me to RISK,HOPE,SACRIFICE,SUFFER,ACT and in so doing am approved of God, am rewarded.

Please take your time and go through Hebrews 11 with this in mind and you will appreciate the heroes of faith better.

Have a faith-filled Lord's Day even as we worship the Shepherd and Bishop of our souls(1Peter 2:25)

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
Re: Let's Pray
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
Vooke

You are contradicting yourself. If you say faith allows you this

"The strength of your faith is not merely the extent to which you believe something, it is also in the VALIDITY of that belief. Faith permits me to act as if something is certain even when I lack evidence. It allows me to RISK,HOPE,SACRIFICE,SUFFER,ACT and in so doing am approved of God, am rewarded Are you sick? It is because you have not spoken health to your life. Are you broke? Speak wealth, and wealth shall pursue and overtake you...."[/You did say that.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 04:48:55 PM »
Vooke

"The strength of your faith is not merely the extent to which you believe something, it is also in the VALIDITY of that belief. Faith permits me to act as if something is certain even when I lack evidence. It allows me to RISK,HOPE,SACRIFICE,SUFFER,ACT and in so doing am approved of God, am rewarded Are you sick? It is because you have not spoken health to your life. Are you broke? Speak wealth, and wealth shall pursue and overtake you...."[/You did say that.

Hello mya88 and thank you for attending church.
Please note the subject verse. The idea is that God mixed faith with his words resulting in creation. I sought to correct this because the subject of faith in that verse is us and not God.

The second portion that you have quoted, all I seek to demonstrate is an aberration of faith where all your problems are tied to not exercising faith like you concluded God did in that verse.

I do not mean that one should not trust God for healing when sick, I mean one should not attribute their sickness to lack of faith. Look at it this way, do all who have faith ever fall sick or get broke or lose their jobs? The answer is yes. What should we say caused their woes seeing they had faith?

It is totally unbiblical to attribute faithlessness to all unpleasant circumstances we experience in our lives. And it is totally unbiblical to prescribe faith to every situation.

Please let me know if it is clear
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
Vooke

Please note the subject verse. The idea is that God mixed faith with his words resulting in creation. I sought to correct this because the subject of faith in that verse is us and not God.

The second portion that you have quoted, all I seek to demonstrate is an aberration of faith where all your problems are tied to not exercising faith like you concluded God did in that verse.

I do not mean that one should not trust God for healing when sick, I mean one should not attribute their sickness to lack of faith. Look at it this way, do all who have faith ever fall sick or get broke or lose their jobs? The answer is yes. What should we say caused their woes seeing they had faith?

It is totally unbiblical to attribute faithlessness to all unpleasant circumstances we experience in our lives. And it is totally unbiblical to prescribe faith to every situation.

Like I mention before, the only music from Kenya I will listen to is either a variant of sukuti or ohangla.  It is a musical wasteland.  Looking at the offerings on the pop scene, Jaguar, Nameless, etc, our best days are behind us clearly.  Sauti Sol somehow thrives despite this ecology.

I thought faithlessness had very precise and severe consequences when you die.  I might have misheard it.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 05:35:49 PM »
Vooke

I thought faithlessness had very precise and severe consequences when you die.  I might have misheard it.
Me too

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »
Vooke

Me too
Distinctly unpleasant consequences too.  But I might have misheard.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:35:30 PM »
Vooke

Me too
I understand what you mean. Faithlessness~~~~>unpleasant consequences

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 11:56:48 PM »
Vooke

Me too
I understand what you mean. Faithlessness~~~~>unpleasant consequences
And that is unbiblical.  Unless I misheard.

Harriet Tubman

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 05:53:33 AM »
Vooke

That bit is self explanatory...I don't see how someone would read it otherwise

I could say life happens to everyone, some it affects worse than others, I don't have an explanation as to why that is. What differentiates those who have faith and those who don't, is how they react to these happenstances. Faith in something bigger is a big factor in it. Look at the situation of Job...what would you say caused his woes...being that he had faith? Prior to what happened to him, did he have special protection or not....meaning he was untouchable until God let it happen.

I think key word in the first part of your statement is ALL. Not all can be attributed to faithlessness, but some can. Its not just faith but faith accompanied by works. That second part of your statement doesn't make any sense...after all doesn't the bible tell us "without faith, its impossible to please God.... that it also tells us "In everything give thanks." Why should I have faith that circumstances are going to get better no-matter what,(especially the unpleasant ones) especially if I call myself a believer.... I will go a step father and say, nothing happens by chance, there is a reason for everything.....what says you?
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »
mya88,
Maybe I should explain what I mean by faithlessness.
It is not rejecting the revealed word of God as such but rather not exercising faith that is not directing your faith at a particular circumstance.

When Israel made a golden calf, that is faithlessness, departure from the revealed Word of God. When somebody falls sick, and you be like, it is because she does not have enough faith to derive some healing.

See that verse above, I have read books and heard sermons to that effect. So it is not exactly obvious