Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 4665 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
What are you reading?
« on: February 23, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »
I stayed up 'til 4AM finishing a really good book by Graham Hurley... really good. I bought another book at Kroger today.

Offline Ka-Bella

• Regular
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
I don't do well with novels but I recently read one I had picked from someone to read on the plane but never did: It's called "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake" about a girl who can "taste" feelings in food...he he.

I am usually reading more topical books filled with anecdotal stories to illustrate points, my favourite! :) Usually they are about some form of psychology topic or spiritual content or self-help.

Those I have been reading (far from finishing for some, though) are:

1) Mind Whispering by Tara Bennett-Goleman
2) The Transformed Mind by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
3) The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
4) An old Catholic Spiritual Classic called 'Abandonment to Divine Providence' by Jean Pierre de Caussade

I want to re-read this book by one of my favourite saints: "The Story of a Soul" by St. Therese de Lisieux, but not now.

I am also looking for this book but can't find it any where in Nairobi: 'Healing: A Woman's Journey from Doctor to Nun' by Dang Nghiem; She's a Vietnamese-American Doctor the tragic death of whose boyfriend somehow landed her in one of Thich Nhat Hanh's Zen Monasteries in France. I really would like to read the story of her transformation but no one seems to have the book. I guess I'll have to settle for an electronic copy which I have discovered I hate reading.. :-\

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
I'm currently reading My Traitor's Heart by Rian Malan. A nonfiction book about a South African (Afrikaner) exile who returns to face his country. Great book BTW
"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
The ones I am currently reading are old but interesting. 

The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan
Pacific Rising - Simon Winchester
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:50:02 PM »
The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
I think I have the same taste as Termy and MK. Sorry KB. RP wtf?

At present I'm liking thriller, crime fiction, horror etc. I've just started a Dean Koontz book... Innocence.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:59 PM »
50 fucking shades of gray  8)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 10:55:36 PM »
I've read the first one. Gross. The movie adverts piss me off. Don't like the actors.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
rarely can finish a book especially hard copy... if it ain't online - for free.... I wont read it ... surprised myself by reading through Thatiahs soft tackles on Uhuru ...... must say were it not for a muratina drinker in sleepy Ichaweri sending me to buy it for him I would never have touched it .... it is such a sham(e) that african books which could be helpful especially memoirs and (auto)biographies from/about our leaders, corrupt senior govt officials are priced crazily and no pirated copies are available online..... heck I saw Obassanjo say his sh@ is retailing at Kshs. 10,000... heck you have made enough money through shady deals all over africa and you think we can buy your praise song at such a price.... 
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
Every Day is for the Thief from Teju Cole.

The broda makes a very good description of today's Niga. The funny thing is it could also fit into today's Kenya.

Offline ChinaZee

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 02:03:53 AM »

Rereading for the second time the adventures of two Brown University grads who make a 1986 journey of self-discovery to China.

Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven -  Susan Jane Gilman.

Offline Reticent Solipsist

• Superstar
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
Here are my three reads this month:

* The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan - Robert Kanigel

* Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded - Simon Winchester (got this as a present back in 2006)

Also, let us commemorate on this Fourth Anniversary 3/11 the earthquake that triggered the powerful tsunami in the Tohoku-Sendai region of Japan in 2011.

* The Man Who Presumed: A Biography of Henry M. Stanley - Byron Farwell. (Warning: this book is not for the rah-rah African nationalist types)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 10:54:21 PM »

* Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded - Simon Winchester (got this as a present back in 2006)

Also, let us commemorate on this Fourth Anniversary 3/11 the earthquake that triggered the powerful tsunami in the Tohoku-Sendai region of Japan in 2011.

* The Man Who Presumed: A Biography of Henry M. Stanley - Byron Farwell. (Warning: this book is not for the rah-rah African nationalist types)
I am going to add to mine the last one.  The story of Henry M Stanley and his batty boy Kalulu in the Congo is nothing short of epic.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Superstar
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 12:32:35 AM »

I am going to add to mine the last one.  The story of Henry M Stanley and his batty boy Kalulu in the Congo is nothing short of epic.

Great choice there. And Kalulu is an interesting character. Here is a boy who faithfully served Stanley accompanying him to Europe, the US and the Seychelles - all done in the twelve years that he lived on this earth.

I have always been intrigued by the immense bravery, hardiness and intellectual curiosity of these great explorers and colonials in the face of an Africa that was riven by cannibalism, human sacrifice, slavery, tropical diseases and pathologies and myriad other abominations that existed all over Africa.

Now contrast all that with the following: By the end of British rule (I admit the Belgians, French and Portuguese left a different legacy) they bequeathed the African - read Kenyan - viable institutions, a legal system, a cadre of well trained civil servants, decent infrastructure, an education system almost on par with that in the mother country, and a democratic structure of laws.

Yeah, I know, education, plumbing, law .... but other than that what did the British do for us?

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 05:27:18 AM »
I have always been intrigued by the immense bravery, hardiness and intellectual curiosity of these great explorers and colonials in the face of an Africa that was riven by cannibalism, human sacrifice, slavery, tropical diseases and pathologies and myriad other abominations that existed all over Africa.

For that sort of thing, nothing would beat a biography of a fellow that all  Kenyans of a certain age will "remember" (from history classes) as a great "explorer".   Speke, Grant, .... that sort of league.   This guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton

He certainly was a great explorer, but of many things other than rivers, lakes, and mountains.    There are a couple of good biographies out there---can't recall the titles right now---and some of his own writings are even more "enlightening".   

Burton was driven by something that drives many people: the interaction between pussy and dick.   

The Royal Geographical Society thought Burton was driven to work for them as Explorer.   And the British government thought that Burton was driven to work for them as Spy,  and so they agreed to go along with the Explorer cover.   Where he got the time or energy is unclear, but Burton seemed to have been able to devote more of both to matters of ding-dong than to his official exploring and spying jobs.  Perhaps, as always, one who wishes to study what he or she loves must suffer a 9-to-5 and do whatever will bring in the money... 

He personally sampled women from all over the world, engaged in "exotic" sexual practices (in "exotic" places, with "exotic women), ....,  Basically if it had to do with f**king, he tried it.    And he made extensive "scholarly" notes of his "studies".

Nor did he forget the men.   While in the middle of exploring for the Royal Geographic, spying for the British government, and undertaking the aforementioned exotic studies, he also managed another feat that (as far as I can tell) has yet to be equalled: a thorough, systematic study of the length of dicks by race, nationality, etc.    His results were that the men in what we now call S. Sudan are the "kings".   (I can't readily recall the inchage, but it looked pretty serious.)   So are big ones better than small ones?    This too he investigated throughly, and his answer was YES.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 07:55:09 AM »
I think I have the same taste as Termy and MK. Sorry KB. RP wtf?

At present I'm liking thriller, crime fiction, horror etc. I've just started a Dean Koontz book... Innocence.
"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 08:38:13 AM »
Wow. You appreciate books like fine china.  :)

I generally like picture books like this: http://www.kids-bookreview.com/2014/05/review-hairy-nosed-wombats-find-new-home.html

If I'm in the mood I'll read a thick book, but I don't want to think about it. Reading is like showering to me-I don't want to spend too long in it or I get wrinkly. Studying makes me wrinkly too.

• Superstar
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:02:42 AM »

For that sort of thing, nothing would beat a biography of a fellow that all  Kenyans of a certain age will "remember" (from history classes) as a great "explorer".   Speke, Grant, .... that sort of league.   This guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Francis_Burton

He certainly was a great explorer, but of many things other than rivers, lakes, and mountains.    There are a couple of good biographies out there---can't recall the titles right now---and some of his own writings are even more "enlightening".   

Burton was driven by something that drives many people: the interaction between pussy and dick.   

The Royal Geographical Society thought Burton was driven to work for them as Explorer.   And the British government thought that Burton was driven to work for them as Spy,  and so they agreed to go along with the Explorer cover.   Where he got the time or energy is unclear, but Burton seemed to have been able to devote more of both to matters of ding-dong than to his official exploring and spying jobs.  Perhaps, as always, one who wishes to study what he or she loves must suffer a 9-to-5 and do whatever will bring in the money... 

He personally sampled women from all over the world, engaged in "exotic" sexual practices (in "exotic" places, with "exotic women), ....,  Basically if it had to do with f**king, he tried it.    And he made extensive "scholarly" notes of his "studies".

Nor did he forget the men.   While in the middle of exploring for the Royal Geographic, spying for the British government, and undertaking the aforementioned exotic studies, he also managed another feat that (as far as I can tell) has yet to be equalled: a thorough, systematic study of the length of dicks by race, nationality, etc.    His results were that the men in what we now call S. Sudan are the "kings".   (I can't readily recall the inchage, but it looked pretty serious.)   So are big ones better than small ones?    This too he investigated throughly, and his answer was YES.

Around the time when I was reading the Stanley bio, I followed up by reading the biography of Richard Francis Burton. You have captured the character of Burton the man and encapsulated him in your statement above.

As I recall, he disguised himself as a Muslim and made the Hajj to Mecca, avoiding detection because he spoke fluent Arabic - one of the twenty something plus languages he spoke fluently.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 04:04:56 AM »
I'm reading...  :shock:

Borrowed this from the MD Anderson library during my lunch break today.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 12:19:27 AM »
Jakoyo is reading  DISGRACE. Written by a David Lurie , a South African University poetry lecture on his life tribulation . His fall from grace to grass.  His impulsive affair with a student . The affair turns sour , He is denounced and summoned before University Inquiry Committee. He admits , but refuses to repent , forced to resign.

From there it is one tribulation after another. Very interesting and easy read.

It won a nobel prize.