Author Topic: Gachagua vows to push for one-man-one shilling in revenue sharing  (Read 84 times)

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
I do not understand Kikuyus. What do they really want? After being in power for over 34 years of the 60 years since Kenya's independence, one would get the impression they came from North Eastern. Why always this feeling of not getting their fair share of the national cake.

In any case, it is very strange that it is only one part of the Kenya that is crying. Kikuyus cannot change anything in Kenya on their own. Why not first court allies before making demands that cannot be pushed through? also what do they want allocated according to the population, the illegal CDF, national resources, county allocation?

Offline Githunguri

• Enigma
  • Raila Odinga.President of the Republic of Kenya.
Re: Gachagua vows to push for one-man-one shilling in revenue sharing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 11:05:12 AM »
Kadudu.Politics aside for a moment.

What should be done to urban constituencies in kisumu Nairobi mombasa kiambu etc that have very high population and low funds vis-a-vis social services like education health housing?Kenyans are migrating from rural to urban areas and the the level of poverty in towns across the country is a matter of big concern.There are people across all tribes suffering in urban slums or densely populated areas,the matter should be addressed.

If you find,visit some of these places.I went to bahati just behind muthurwa two years ago,children are destitute while the young generation is on drugs,I saw the same thing in githurai 44 a place called Soweto.

The method or wording maybe wrong but there is a big crisis in densely populated areas across Kenya.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2024, 12:37:16 PM »
Bwana Githunguri, no need to inform me about the plight of the poor urban residents in Kenya. I see it with my own eyes. I grew up in Eastlands and I know the state of the affairs there.

Revenue allocation in Kenya is done under well stated formula. It is not only population that plays a role although that is the major factor. Size of land, poverty index etc do play a role.

My take with the likes of Gachagua and his Mt Kenya political class, is their past resistance to a real devolved system of government. It is the Kikuyu under Kibaki's watch that diluted the proposed devolved system of government and under Uhuru devolution was diluted to maintain a strong national goverment based in Nairobi. A good case is where health is a devolved function. Till today the allocation for the national government health programms are much more than the allocation for all the counties health programms combined. The Ministry of Water still controlls a big chunk of the water budget although this is a devolved function.

Gachagua and his ilk should firat start with check the national policies before riding on the one man one vote rhetoric that tells the man on the street nothing.

Kadudu.Politics aside for a moment.

What should be done to urban constituencies in kisumu Nairobi mombasa kiambu etc that have very high population and low funds vis-a-vis social services like education health housing?Kenyans are migrating from rural to urban areas and the the level of poverty in towns across the country is a matter of big concern.There are people across all tribes suffering in urban slums or densely populated areas,the matter should be addressed.

If you find,visit some of these places.I went to bahati just behind muthurwa two years ago,children are destitute while the young generation is on drugs,I saw the same thing in githurai 44 a place called Soweto.

The method or wording maybe wrong but there is a big crisis in densely populated areas across Kenya.

Offline Githunguri

• Enigma
  • Raila Odinga.President of the Republic of Kenya.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2024, 03:40:54 PM »
I agree with everything you've said but That allocation formula doesn't reflect the reality.

We should devolve everything including  KRA,county keeps 80% and only 20% is sent to National gov.that solves the problem.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
Hapo umedinya point!

This is the only way to silence the people against devolution. The high allocation to the counties would also have to come with more responsibility. Devolution in Kenya today is at standstill. That was not the spirit when the writers of the constituition tabled it down. Devolution was to be a process, but now it seems the national government has no interest in letting th process mature.

I agree with everything you've said but That allocation formula doesn't reflect the reality.

We should devolve everything including  KRA,county keeps 80% and only 20% is sent to National gov.that solves the problem.