Author Topic: Esther Anumu Fordham - African German during Nazi era in Germany  (Read 921 times)

Offline Stockguru

• Mega superstar
Esther Anumu Fordham - African German during Nazi era in Germany
« on: February 12, 2022, 09:22:17 PM »
This is interesting account. Give account how  she lived in the shadows of Nazi era. Although she was barred from going to school but was able to acquire education and live. She has a very interesting perspective. She says that Nazism was a reality of life. She was taught by her mother who she needed to show her nazi loyalty and those that despised Nazism. She had a Jewish friend who she kept in touch with throught the war even after her family being sent to concentration camp. She shed a light into the usual life during this time. How during her city was bombed and had to flee to upcountry and just live with complete strangers. Her life married to an American. Her learning of Jim crow when she went to American army base and saw segregation. it is a fascinating and interesting account of being black during this time

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Re: Esther Anumu Fordham - African German during Nazi era in Germany
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 05:35:46 PM »
https://www.blackpast.org/african-american-history/massaquoi-hans-jurgen-1926/

I watched his documentary on how he tried to be accepted and was rejected by the nazis. Didn't know he migrated out and became a journalist. He was Lucky but I believe the reason why Nazis didn't kill him is because his dad was diplomat and he had diplomatic immunity

You're right other Black Germans were mistreated and chemically castrated.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 06:09:49 PM »
I have read his well published autobiography. He had no diplomatic immunity. The Nazi regime did not recognise his fatherhood.
The unlucky Blacks were those born to Senegalise soldiers who occupied the Rhineland with the French army. Those were handed out to the Nazis by their local authorities.

I watched his documentary on how he tried to be accepted and was rejected by the nazis. Didn't know he migrated out and became a journalist. He was Lucky but I believe the reason why Nazis didn't kill him is because his dad was diplomat and he had diplomatic immunity

You're right other Black Germans were mistreated and chemically castrated.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 06:29:59 PM »
Okay. That was a will time in Europe.