Author Topic: Late Uganda economist  (Read 880 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Late Uganda economist
« on: February 07, 2022, 05:24:03 PM »
https://www.ft.com/content/5536ec1e-7b24-4489-84b6-bb1693d8cae5

Seems this guys was the artichect behind Uganda economic revival. He did well. Back in the 80s during nrm war there was a guy from my village that made a lot of money selling plastic and nails in Uganda. He would hire recent high school graduates from the village to hawk this stuff from the border
 It was a risky time in Uganda. Two of these guys became my friends after they returned from Uganda. They told me of how soldiers would kidnap them for Ransome. So they came to know how to go to the chiefs and pay protection money and the chief would pay the soldiers. Uganda was poor them. We had casual worker in my village from Uganda whenever they made trip home they would take mattress, nails. You couldn't find an affordable mattress in Uganda so that was one of the items that they acquired first
 Within 10 years of museveni govt most started investing back home and now all them have returned. The funny thing is that their kids remained and are no

w kenyans.

Uganda has come a longway

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Late Uganda economist
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 05:29:23 PM »
Museveni turned around Uganda - was a darling of the west - until recently. Museveni is brilliant. Uganda indeed had been driven back to stonage but what help Uganda it's incredibly fertile lands full of water. That country can feed Africa. It's no wonder Churchil called it the pearl of Africa. It can beat the Netherlands if they took agricluture seriously.

What Uganda didnt have for a long time was manufacturing base.

Kenya out of sheer luck :) - got manufacturing going for it - when they outlawed indians from opening shops in every corner of the country.

That law of 1967 severly restricting indians in retail trade to allow kikuyus (mostly) to compete - forced indians to manufacture stuff they use to import - so they can sell to african traders.

And they hit a jackpot - soon the dukawallas become noted industralists - and now are arguably amongst richest diaspora anywhere in the world.

Museveni has been going for those indians and now chinese to open factories - and they soon will be self sufficient in manufactured goods

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 05:37:33 PM »
Yes, museveni wad brilliant. Even in hid old age he makes a lot of sense. He poached kenyan entrepreneurs who had fallen out with moi. Akina Macharia citizen run to Uganda. The other thing museveni having lived in kenya understood our economy and was able to exploit. Yes Uganda will about 30 years of war never had food shortage.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 05:42:13 PM »
Nearly whole of Uganda is under massiva natural irrigation from lake victoria - our kenya, rwanda, tanzania, congo and all highlands - basically feed victoria with water - and then because uganda is flat plain - the lake victoria opens up - and drain it's waters - not only to the nile - but through countless of huge swamps and streams - so it's a naturally irrigated flat flood plain. South Sudan has massive potential too - but only if they can achieve peace.
Yes, museveni wad brilliant. Even in hid old age he makes a lot of sense. He poached kenyan entrepreneurs who had fallen out with moi. Akina Macharia citizen run to Uganda. The other thing museveni having lived in kenya understood our economy and was able to exploit. Yes Uganda will about 30 years of war never had food shortage.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 06:04:52 PM »
I would say Museveni gave Ugandans security and stability. Calling him a genious I think is way too much. My take is a leader of a country has about 10 to utmost 15 years to achieve the most and after that it is mostly destruction. Museveni passed his peak and in the last 15 years has been busy just oppressing his opponents. The majority of Ugandans who are under 30 do not appreciate him anymore. He would never have a chance in a free fair election. The man has little to offer Ugandans apart from now paving way for his son to takeover the presidency.

Offline sema

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 06:18:58 PM »
The average per capita income in Uganda is $900 dollars a  year.  African standards are very low. Yes, Museveni stopped the endless wars in Uganda, but even he acknowledges that Africans (intellectually) still need a lot of help.

Museveni complains that Africans have been sleeping for the last 50 years. Maybe in the next 50 years they'll finally wake up and stop spending all day drinking and watching manchester united and opening hair salons and barber shops and seeing those as the only viable businesses.

Offline RV Heavy Hitter!

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 06:24:34 PM »
Unfortunately, Ugandans in the US would rather identify as East Africans because they know what is happening in Uganda villages. Uganda is shit, but you might confuse it with the pockets of a few shiny things MUSEVENI portrays on the surface. 12% of Kenyans live in extreme poverty, while Uganda is 41%, according to award-winning statistica. Road networks in Uganda are shit, if not nonexistent, and most of them have no electricity. The picture my Uganda painted for me is like this. Museveni has impoverished Uganda, but he is good in propaganda and kicking out any foreign media, and suppressing any negative information coming out of Uganda. I usually ask one word they can use to describe Uganda, and the word is "shit."
The future belongs to those who have a quarter of the character and integrity of RV Heavy Hitter!

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 06:28:02 PM »
The average per capita income in Uganda is $900 dollars a  year.  African standards are very low. Yes, Museveni stopped the endless wars in Uganda, but even he acknowledges that Africans (intellectually) still need a lot of help.

Museveni complains that Africans have been sleeping for the last 50 years. Maybe in the next 50 years they'll finally wake up and stop spending all day drinking and watching manchester united and opening hair salons and barber shops and seeing those as the only viable businesses.

Where is the culture of drinking from? British oligarchs? I found out even our best brains spend most of time drinking. From Friday to Saturday it is binge drinking. A kenyan technocrat will drink like a teenager. By 55 years they are spent from excessive drinking

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 06:29:01 PM »
Unfortunately, Ugandans in the US would rather identify as East Africans because they know what is happening in Uganda villages. Uganda is shit, but you might confuse it with the pockets of a few shiny things MUSEVENI portrays on the surface. 12% of Kenyans live in extreme poverty, while Uganda is 41%, according to award-winning statistica. Road networks in Uganda are shit, if not nonexistent, and most of them have no electricity. The picture my Uganda painted for me is like this. Museveni has impoverished Uganda, but he is good in propaganda and kicking out any foreign media, and suppressing any negative information coming out of Uganda. I usually ask one word they can use to describe Uganda, and the word is "shit."

Uganda has a longway to go. It had collapsed completely

Offline sema

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 06:31:08 PM »
12% of Kenyans live in extreme poverty, while Uganda is 41%,

95% of Kenyans are basically poor. 4% middle class (in Nairobi) 1% rich (political thieves)

After 30 years, a per capita income of only $900 dollars a year? It's the same judgements made about Kagame because he has managed to keep Kigali clean. Rwanda is a dirt poor African country that depends almost entirely on foreign aid.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 06:36:05 PM »

95% of Kenyans are basically poor. 4% middle class (in Nairobi) 1% rich (political thieves)

After 30 years, a per capita income of only $900 dollars a year? It's the same judgements made about Kagame because he has managed to keep Kigali clean. Rwanda is a dirt poor African country that depends almost entirely on foreign aid.

Sub-Saharan Africa is poor. Very poor. We are just peasants

Offline RV Heavy Hitter!

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 09:47:05 PM »

There is difference between extreme poverty and regular poverty. Extreme poverty is the kind where folks walk with rugged dirty cloths and no food to eat for days.
The future belongs to those who have a quarter of the character and integrity of RV Heavy Hitter!

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 10:47:19 PM »
Museveni is basically undoing all the good things he did - and his son is basically unhinged drunkard.

Invalid Tweet ID

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 10:34:31 AM »
Exactly. The son is also said to love women like nothing else.
Museveni's time passed and I can remember him in the late 80's scoulding African leaders for stating in power for too long. Now he is in that same position.

Museveni is basically undoing all the good things he did - and his son is basically unhinged drunkard.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 11:14:55 AM »
They will have to kill them - and now with Oil - Museveni just became an easy target - and he doesnt know. Next Uganda president once the oil flows will not care - so it's really upto a tough generals to kill Museveni and overthrow him. There is no democratic way out for them because they have blocked all the exit routes. Unless the generals agree across tribes to kick out Zimbabwe style.

Museveni is scared. It's reason he is backing Ruto now - because he knows a Raila can cause turmoil in the northern uganda.

Exactly. The son is also said to love women like nothing else.
Museveni's time passed and I can remember him in the late 80's scoulding African leaders for stating in power for too long. Now he is in that same position.