Author Topic: Can Meritocracy as practiced in the Judiciary be replicated elsewhere?  (Read 466 times)

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
I think this is basically what happens in China. They have a body that does what the JSC does with the judiciary but with all sorts of govt functions. Most democracies peel away only the judiciary for this type of strict meritocracy (though in the US, even the judiciary at lower levels is elected). I think we should peel away more and more functions, slowly by slowly, into the same strict meritocracy, with high standards of recruitment and promotions in front of transparent panels. We can require people join at lower levels based on excellence in academic/professional qualifications and then have to be recruited into higher levels through strict public reviews of previous performance, complete with surveys and other scientific data.

We can leave things to democratic bodies that don't require high-level expertise, as well as for high-level nominations and to perform checks on others.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Can Meritocracy as practiced in the Judiciary be replicated elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 03:55:39 PM »
2010 fixed this. Rare to find Moi era idiiots. Educational and competence are okay now.

Now it's just about ethical standards.

Offline Nowayhaha

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 04:16:16 PM »

Talk of Competence when you have CJ as Koome and DCJ as Mwilu.
RV sometimes you are overly excited.

2010 fixed this. Rare to find Moi era idiiots. Educational and competence are okay now.

Now it's just about ethical standards.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 04:22:20 PM »
Under Moi - Benard Ochunga - without any legal training was CJ.
These two are competent - education wise.
Their ethical standards are a problem.
I certainly dont expect everyone to be bright - but if they have 15yrs law or court experience - then they are qualified.
We may not like the rigours of their thoughts - but that is why it's 7 BENCH.

So if we split competence into 1) Education and 2) Ethic/integrity - I see the problem in later. Yourself fall in that category - refusing to pay my bet.

Talk of Competence when you have CJ as Koome and DCJ as Mwilu.
RV sometimes you are overly excited.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 04:59:48 PM »
What kenya needs to reform the economy do that private sector sets the standards. As long as govt remains the only option for most elites to earn a decent earning meddling in appointments and employment will continue. Just have a vibrant economy that will make it risky or unworthy to be employed in public sector. I echo Pundit sentiments too that we have checks now due to new laws to end moi and kenyatta era mediocrity