Author Topic: The African tyrant living in luxury while his people starve  (Read 706 times)

Offline Gikomba_Hawker

• VIP
  • Enigma
The African tyrant living in luxury while his people starve
« on: November 28, 2021, 06:11:55 PM »
God help this country.

The African tyrant living in luxury while his people starve
Don't steal. The Uhuruto Government hates competition.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: The African tyrant living in luxury while his people starve
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 06:45:05 PM »
Granted that tiny country is rich.  Yet American oil corporations" are robbing the place blind.  They are paying Equatorial Guinea 12% of the revenues where the standard is 60%.  But,  the focus is solely on the "bad evil government".  Does any serious observer believe Obiang would still be in power if he pushed for the right deals?  Neocolonialism is real.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 10:43:48 AM »
Come on. The US oil companies are in it for profit. If the stupid Africans sign agreements to their own disadvantage, it is their own fault. They are not kids and have been in oil business for decades.
Also 12% or 60% of the revenues would only make the tyrants richer and not their people. That country is doomed for the next 50 years.

Granted that tiny country is rich.  Yet American oil corporations" are robbing the place blind.  They are paying Equatorial Guinea 12% of the revenues where the standard is 60%.  But,  the focus is solely on the "bad evil government".  Does any serious observer believe Obiang would still be in power if he pushed for the right deals?  Neocolonialism is real.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 01:07:29 PM »
Very shameful. Exon should be forced to stop buying oil.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 01:25:13 PM »
Come on. The US oil companies are in it for profit. If the stupid Africans sign agreements to their own disadvantage, it is their own fault. They are not kids and have been in oil business for decades.
Also 12% or 60% of the revenues would only make the tyrants richer and not their people. That country is doomed for the next 50 years.

I am not sure it's stupidity so much as the geopolitics of American oil corporations.  Africans are not that stupid.  I agree Obiang could do better for his people.  But I am not sure he can push back on the oil corporations deal without risking his own political skin.  As nasty as he is, the man is a pawn.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
And he has enacted a brutal dictatorship. The pressure should on the US and UNSC to enforce sanctions on Obiang. US should investigate foreign corruption by Exon. US gov can ring-fence the contract but force Obiang to respect human rights, allow democracy and hold proper election. That will see him kicked out - and new gov will regoniate fair deals - and work for EQ
I am not sure it's stupidity so much as the geopolitics of American oil corporations.  Africans are not that stupid.  I agree Obiang could do better for his people.  But I am not sure he can push back on the oil corporations deal without risking his own political skin.  As nasty as he is, the man is a pawn.