Author Topic: Pundit you went back to Ke to face death; most are going back to the village  (Read 1139 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Lol Kenya has some good writers. This is really good write up. I skipped most of the stuff about corruption yada yada but overall good article

https://www.theelephant.info/reflections/2020/04/14/from-where-to-face-death-coronavirus-and-the-villager/

And so I came home despite the warnings, as I know many wise villagers did. But I didn’t come to die here. I came to face death. I simply chose for myself where, like we may all have to if this situation worsens. After watching the last few weeks unfold and seeing the government’s response, I could not trust it to choose for me, for it is clear, as it has always been, that my life is not the government’s priority at all. For me the city was simply no place from which to face such a threat, not in the current state of its infrastructure, of its leadership. If death is unavoidable, the city is definitely not the place in which to die. Now my heart goes out to every villager still stuck in the city, so vulnerable and so far away from home, as death draws ever closer.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
You cannot go to the village. At least not in our village. You'll be shipped back to Nairobi. There is no sneaking. Africans are more scared about death than Wazungu.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
You cannot go to the village. At least not in our village. You'll be shipped back to Nairobi. There is no sneaking. Africans are more scared about death than Wazungu.

Yeah the window to go the village closed down. I think since we know our healthcare is shit we tend to be more careful

Americans are yet to come to terms that this disease means their way of life is done and dusted in so many way. Mzungu likes taking risks and this may end up being why this disease wont take a break in the west

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Yes, when I went to bury my father, I had just come from Europe. Normally people mill around my car asking for money - this time round even the most desperate could not come near me. They wave as they disappear :). Mwafrika fears death. By 2nd day the Chief was inquiring when and where I came from....if I had been riff-raff they would have hounded me. There was a college boy from Mombasa - people went their home and had him forcefully guaranteed. There is a doctor from KNH who went home after treating COVID-19 cases and it was reported he was being sought - villages besieged his houses armed. And that was then. Now it's pretty hostile...they know corrupt police will allow people to go to villages..so they are basically taking the law on their hand. The message is clear..No Nairobi or Mombasa people.

Yeah the window to go the village closed down. I think since we know our healthcare is shit we tend to be more careful

Americans are yet to come to terms that this disease means their way of life is done and dusted in so many way. Mzungu likes taking risks and this may end up being why this disease wont take a break in the west

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
In my village a lady came from britain where she lives part of year with her husband. She took a matatu for the last leg of her trip. By monday she been hounded out of the village. During the Ebola epidemic an Ugandan that worked for my dad got seriously ill and was transported to the district hospital. Rumors spread that he had Ebola. I can tell you nobody wanted to anything to do with anyone who had been to the homestead for a longtime. The funny things I because I have facebook I am able to get these shenanigans before my parents hear them

That funny that the side effect of you being from Europe is not getting guys to borrow money from you

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Those suffering in towns have no option but to go to the villages once the travel restrictions are done with - people are suffering with no serious government relief, no rent relief.

If Geneva and New York people are lining up for food, this is bad. Our 'my car' people are hawking sukuma!  This is a group we all think have saving to take them a few months but no, even when not paying fees, one month and they are broke.

The quarantine nonsense cannot hold all the Mjengo, Industrial area menial job guys, maids, hotel workers, bar maids, malaya who will be streaming back to the villages once the restriction is lifted. They should lift it even today! The villagers have to accept that this is just another hyped HIV which we have to live with.

The nonsense about a vaccine is not making sense and thanks for likes of Magufuli, Trump we will be back to normalcy within 2 year. We do not have vaccines for shit discovered in 60s- what miracle is gates going to perform while even scientists and vaccine factories are restricted or in lockdown??

Our slums and now Tanzania shows the virus is not a priority for majority - priority is food, rent
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Njuri Ncheke

• Enigma
I love village life thats where i unwind most of the weekends in the farms. Love the cool quiet clean and scenetic environment, helps to reduce stress level and give me time to reflect on many things. Most people leave villages dont come back this corona has taught them a lesson i have a friend from kisii never been ocha since 2002,shocking and he is eldest son his dad passed away, his uncles took over land as he didn't show interest always wondered why i love ocha. Lovely life away from kabilas we can talk secrets openly without fearing snitches. Awesome.
Since am always there no one can raise an eyebrow villagers honestly love me and my bro they say we dint go to disappear in Nairobi we always involved in village matters. I can easily go for MCA if wanted but my poor masterly of Meru manenos wont let me plus i can't entertain dealing with merus politically its a nightmare.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Villages are just a refuge for the storm. We have grown up in the villages and know life there is shit reason you see people holding out in shithole slums like Kibera, Korogocho, Kiandutu where with some innovation and luck you have chances of upward mobility unlike the villages! The romantic view is for those who did not trek to school for kilometres or those who never had to do dirty peasantry farming day in day out for years with nothing much to show.

The corona has just pushed people who were on the economic cliff from Jubilee economic ruins with the wiping off of Kibaki recovery dividends. They will continue struggling even in the villages and few will recover given the nonexistent opportunities. To get a stable Kshs. 200 in the villages you have to work like a donkey from morning to evening. Carrying a small parcel in Nyamakima to the stage or the slums you have your Kshs. 50 in a few minutes.

The dumping of kids by in the villages will balloon. The ability of men to be disciplined while their wives stick in the villages like the older generations is not possible so it is going to be a social nightmare. I can see MPs renovating rural schools so the kids will have a chance with the free primary education doing away with congestion in urban primary schools. Olympic, Githurai and Mwiki primary schools have like 3,000 kids while rural schools in Central are barely empty.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution