Author Topic: Ustaše, Europe's Own ISIS  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Ustaše, Europe's Own ISIS
« on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »

Before ISIS there was Ustashi.  A croatian militia that could not find enough Jews and Serbs to behead.  While ISIS are truly vile, they are not unique.  Or even the worst.  Granted they enjoy a better technology to disseminate their atrocities than their peers in periods long gone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usta%C5%A1e
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Ustaše, Europe's Own ISIS
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »
Interesting.

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 07:34:32 PM »
Interesting.
Yep.  But for a sheer stroke of luck, anyone could find themselves in these kind of places at the wrong time. 

It looks like throughout history, there have been very few places at any given time, for people to get on with their lives without worrying about some sort of pogrom or another.

In fact we may be living in the safest period.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
Except those currently living in Pokot and NEP..and such areas.
Yep.  But for a sheer stroke of luck, anyone could find themselves in these kind of places at the wrong time. 

It looks like throughout history, there have been very few places at any given time, for people to get on with their lives without worrying about some sort of pogrom or another.

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:02:59 PM »
Except those currently living in Pokot and NEP..and such areas.

Yes.  And those guys are not crazy at all.  It's the environment they know.

A swathe that cuts across Central Africa, the Middle East lives like that.  You cannot escape the fact that life can be short, nasty and brutish.  In Nairobi, nobody blinks at the notion that a suspected thief was stoned to death.

I remember during undergrad in Kenya, a suspect was burned and his body was there for a day.  Nobody was charged.  I did not think much of it.  A Negro could be lynched the same way in Chicago in the 20s and life would go on.

Yet, it barely takes a generation for people to have a totally different perspective.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
Ustashi slaughtered about 80,000 and 100,000 Serbs at one concentration camp. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasenovac_concentration_camp

http://www.jusp-jasenovac.hr/Default.aspx?sid=7619

Harriet Tubman