Author Topic: More Amerian fast foods setting up shops  (Read 8927 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
More Amerian fast foods setting up shops
« on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/US-fast-food-and-ice-cream-chains-open-in-Nairobi/-/539550/2517878/-/e0nlq9z/-/index.html

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
Re: More Amerian fast foods setting up shops
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »
Get prepared for an obese population and with cancer now taking its toll on the young adults 30-40's.....I am just saying. Quiznos and subways are better choices not Domino's piza.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:04:42 PM »
Obesity and cancer are hot areas of research. Obesity is treatable. Cancer is a war.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
Get prepared for an obese population and with cancer now taking its toll on the young adults 30-40's.....I am just saying. Quiznos and subways are better choices not Domino's piza.
Fast food is baaaaad...

But they will find a ready and willing market among the well to do in Kenya.  I am thinking they are also not going to experience any regulation in what they use or put in the food.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
Obesity and cancer are hot areas of research. Obesity is treatable. Cancer is a war.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
Fast food is baaaaad...

But they will find a ready and willing market among the well to do in Kenya.  I am thinking they are also not going to experience any regulation in what they use or put in the food.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:42:32 PM »
Aren't the franchise owners not suppose to adhere to brand standards...sort of every cocacola soda ought to taste nearly similarly everywhere. Compared to what is going on....these international brands bring in world class food standard and experience to kenya...and hopefully the local chips and chicken joint..can copy from them.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
Aren't the franchise owners not suppose to adhere to brand standards...sort of every cocacola soda ought to taste nearly similarly everywhere. Compared to what is going on....these international brands bring in world class food standard and experience to kenya...and hopefully the local chips and chicken joint..can copy from them.

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 06:10:24 PM »

Indeed it will be up to the local regulations.  Some of the regulations stateside make it more expensive for them to do business.  Those are likely to be the first to go, when they can avoid them.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 06:21:41 PM »
I know those already here basically import stuff from Egypt and South Africa..including potatos. There is no way they can allow their brand to become a jaukali. This is how they make money. You do not want to find the chicken you ate..in Nairobi Subway is quite different from the one in New York. This essentially where subway comes in...to ensure the brand is not watered down.

I am not sure what regulation are...but this is not exactly rocket science..potatos, some beef, some chicken and name it..how complicated can this get?..kenya already export horticultural products to Europe...meeting some stringent standards.

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
I know those already here basically import stuff from Egypt and South Africa..including potatos. There is no way they can allow their brand to become a jaukali. This is how they make money. You do not want to find the chicken you ate..in Nairobi Subway is quite different from the one in New York. This essentially where subway comes in...to ensure the brand is not watered down.

I am not sure what regulation are...but this is not exactly rocket science..potatos, some beef, some chicken and name it..how complicated can this get?..kenya already export horticultural products to Europe...meeting some stringent standards.

About regulations.  For instance, there are some type of oils(I forget what) that used to be popular in fast food franchises that were banned in the US.  The industry fought it, but they lost.  I am inclined to think they will not think twice to use the same stuff where there are no such regulations.  I think the same thing happened with Philip Morris, resulting in a different quality of cigarrettes for different countries.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:33:25 PM »
I see. Well in a country grappling with many problems...whatever they will do here..is not even 1/4 of what our food industry do and don't do.
About regulations.  For instance, there are some type of oils(I forget what) that used to be popular in fast food franchises that were banned in the US.  The industry fought it, but they lost.  I am inclined to think they will not think twice to use the same stuff where there are no such regulations.  I think the same thing happened with Philip Morris, resulting in a different quality of cigarrettes for different countries.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
I understand those concerns but definitely this is big step forward toward having some form of regulations...even if they are franchise standard. They are targeting the expat and middle class..given the prices (plus the tastes) are rather steep for a typical kenyan.

They may not be perfect..they are world class in area of fast food..which a city like Nairobi need. There is no time to prepare our kienyenji food in fast paced city life.

This is an opportunity for many a diaspora who have worked in US's fast food to open franchise here....

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »

This is an opportunity for many a diaspora who have worked in US's fast food to open franchise here....

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 12:25:07 AM »

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work that way for the poor countries.    Take for example the Big Mac Index and consider how much a person has to work at the average salary in order to afford a Big Mac.    The numbers are higher for the poor countries.  In fact  data  shows eating a Big Mac in Nairobi is actually costly in those terms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index#cite_note-Price_and_Earnings.2C_CIO_Wealth_Management_Research-22

As for regulations, the local ones are what count, and I would be surprised to find some corner-cutting in places where even if regulations are thorough (which itself will be doubtful) it is very easy to bribe someone to look the other way.   

Fast foods are the last things that the world's poor need.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »
The Big Mac (and virtually all sandwiches) vary from country to country with differing nutritional values, weights and even nominal size differences.

There is a lot of variance with the exclusively Beef "Big Mac": the Australian version of the Big Mac has 22% less energy than the Canadian version, and is 8% lighter than the version sold in Mexico.[

Interesting; Thanks MoonKi, that is exactly what I though.....most franchises have to adapt to the host countries culture

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »
Let not forget that in kenya 40% of hospitalization are due to diarhoea...mostly due to basic food handling procedures, basic hygiene and name.

These are first world worries...we have far more serious problems to deal with..like washing hands after going to the toilet.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »
Let not forget that in kenya 40% of hospitalization are due to diarhoea...mostly due to basic food handling procedures, basic hygiene and name.

These are first world worries...we have far more serious problems to deal with..like washing hands after going to the toilet.
That speaks to my healthy skepticism with the drugs for Africans movement.  Basic sanitation and hygiene pushed life expectancy in the west through the roof.

Harriet Tubman