Author Topic: Scientists see mechanism for spontaneous HIV 'cure'  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
Scientists see mechanism for spontaneous HIV 'cure'
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
Paris (AFP) - French scientists said Tuesday they had found the genetic mechanism by which two HIV-infected men may have experienced a "spontaneous cure", and said it offered a new strategy in the fight against AIDS.

Both men were infected by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), one of them 30 years ago, but never developed AIDS symptoms......

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-mechanism-spontaneous-hiv-cure-111655252.html

Offline Mr Mansfield.

• VIP
  • Mega superstar
Re: Scientists see mechanism for spontaneous HIV 'cure'
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
Lets focus on cancer,its killing more people than HIV/AIDs (which is now under control) and its too expensive to treat for third world countries,

Without Prejudice. 

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
The origin of the Aids pandemic has been traced to the 1920s in the city of Kinshasa, in what is now the Democratic Republic of Congo, scientists say.

An international team of scientists say a "perfect storm" of population growth, sex and railways allowed HIV to spread.

A feat of viral archaeology was used to find the pandemic's origin, the team report in the journal Science.

They used archived samples of HIV's genetic code to trace its source, with evidence pointing to 1920s Kinshasa.

Their report says a roaring sex trade, rapid population growth and unsterilised needles used in health clinics probably spread the virus.

Meanwhile Belgium-backed railways had one million people flowing through the city each year, taking the virus to neighbouring regions.

Experts said it was a fascinating insight into the start of the pandemic.

HIV came to global attention in the 1980s and has infected nearly 75 million people.

. . .
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29442642
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:01 AM »
Congo is a horror story. The most shocking sights in my life I witnessed in DRCongo. Hell on earth.

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/unbound/flashbks/rwanda/zaire.htm

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 10:14:05 AM »
Lets focus on cancer,its killing more people than HIV/AIDs (which is now under control) and its too expensive to treat for third world countries,

Without Prejudice.

Yes, but there is no harm in trying to get a solution for this one too along with Malaria and others.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 06:27:16 PM »
Congo is a horror story. The most shocking sights in my life I witnessed in DRCongo. Hell on earth.

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/unbound/flashbks/rwanda/zaire.htm
I can believe that.  The heart of darkness.  I am told there is nowhere on earth that you can find such combination of beauty and misery.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
Alluring and mesmerising. Thank you Termy.