Author Topic: Being a landlord is a fucked up thing  (Read 2854 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Being a landlord is a fucked up thing
« on: December 26, 2020, 07:45:05 PM »
Think about it. You take capital from a lender you then build houses and you wait for workers to rent. Every end of month you take about 1/3 of the salary and by the 12th year you have repaid the capital and from henceforth you are just milking poor workers of their earnings. My first big commercial rental property was built in 1983. The man has collected rent from then to now. I think the loan was about 90K with was a lot of money then but not he makes more than that loan a month. I think in terms of generational wealth a rental property is a non-brainer investment.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Being a landlord is a fucked up thing
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:55:08 AM »
That's a broad brush considering the huge losses Centum, Cytonn, Britam, etc are booking from their assets like Two-Re and China Place.

Speak what you know: maybe low-end slumlordship? How is that business?
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 01:07:50 AM »
Njamba i know you have ADHD but i recall you bragging here about your "houses" in Dandora or Mathare. Huruma?
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 01:30:51 AM »
That's a broad brush considering the huge losses Centum, Cytonn, Britam, etc are booking from their assets like Two-Re and China Place.

cyton, Britam are big players and are in  Commercial real estate. Slumlordship is where the money is. If you can get land  in Eastland's and then make one room for rent you will make money. Also if you go to deeper slums you can spend 1 million and earn 70K cash a month. you just construct mabati rooms then you add auxiliary revenue streams like water and charcoal business

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 02:31:10 AM »

cyton, Britam are big players and are in  Commercial real estate. Slumlordship is where the money is. If you can get land  in Eastland's and then make one room for rent you will make money. Also if you go to deeper slums you can spend 1 million and earn 70K cash a month. you just construct mabati rooms then you add auxiliary revenue streams like water and charcoal business

Property business is barely prosperous anywhere- it is another retail that everyone joins as soon as they smell the money. Then ruin the show. Real estate is driven by baby boomers - population curve - and such factors outside your control. Early birds reaped big - the copycat joyriders always cry.

Slumlord is not business- it's trading in poverty and basics. You are a pimp.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 02:45:33 AM »

Property business is barely prosperous anywhere- it is another retail that everyone joins as soon as they smell the money. Then ruin the show. Real estate is driven by baby boomers - population curve - and such factors outside your control. Early birds reaped big - the copycat joyriders always cry.

What does your grocery store trade in when they sell beans to a poor person? Luxuries I presume?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 09:56:04 AM »
In kenya with housing shortage of 2m plus units; it's no brainer; real estate has beaten stocks for 30yrs or more going now; obviously invest only if you're thinking really long term...20yrs.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 12:26:37 PM »

What does your grocery store trade in when they sell beans to a poor person? Luxuries I presume?

Basics. Barely propsperous. You mock Amazon in another thread for razor-thin margins - that's the same problem- it is very low entry barrier business to hawk stuff - including mahindi choma guy. Housing for the urban poor is tin-roof and mud walls - no sewer, no water, no parking, no playground- it heartless to mint millions from such business. It pimp or drug kind of service. Do it for charity.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »
In kenya with housing shortage of 2m plus units; it's no brainer; real estate has beaten stocks for 30yrs or more going now; obviously invest only if you're thinking really long term...20yrs.

Yeah slumlordship is profitable anywhere. Not proper "real estate" of Cytonns. There is a shortage of slums in Nairobi - not a shortage of housing. I scan this easy from jiji.co.ke filter.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 12:31:37 PM »
But you're providing housing to slumdwellers. How is that same with drug dealing?

My investment philosophy - is long term  (kinda of retirement plan)- I will invest in trees for example and wait for 20yrs - but I won't risk on newest tech fads - or start active side-business or active investments like I am a wall street analyst.

My day job is enough - to get me through my life needs - and when retire in say 20yrs from now - then I will live off my investment.

Basics. Barely propsperous. You mock Amazon in another thread for razor-thin margins - that's the same problem- it is very low entry barrier business to hawk stuff - including mahindi choma guy. Housing for the urban poor is tin-roof and mud walls - no sewer, no water, no parking, no playground- it heartless to mint millions from such business. It pimp or drug kind of service. Do it for charity.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 12:33:42 PM »
Cytonn/Centum are taking people money and re-investing - promising them crazy quick returns. That doesnt work in real estate. What works is for them to look for long term funds - like issues 20yr old maturing bond - and then it will make sense. People will wait for 20yrs knowing real estate is NOT GOING TO ROT AWAY.

Cytonn/Centum should invest in business that actively generating cashflow and profit - so they can meet their investors needs - quick profit return -and the attendant risk.

Real estate funding should come from PENSION FUNDS and some form of Insurances - like Life Insurance - where an investor is expecting to be paid on average 30yrs from now. Not take regular joe money that he would need if he lost his job.

In kenya for example - if you invest in a house - you have to wait for like 10-15yrs before you can book your profits.

The same is true for development. Gok should invest looking at 50-100yrs horizon. Private sector don't have that luxury. But it would be stupid for gov to invest like a private individual looking for quick returns.

Yeah slumlordship is profitable anywhere. Not proper "real estate" of Cytonns. There is a shortage of slums in Nairobi - not a shortage of housing. I scan this easy from jiji.co.ke filter.