Author Topic: Forget it! I won’t implement order to raise teachers' pay, President Uhuru Kenya  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
"That was a court error. I can't pay, I won't pay." This was President Uhuru Kenyatta's candid message to the striking teachers when he addressed journalists yesterday at State House, Nairobi.......

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000176048&story_title=forget-it-i-won-t-implement-order-to-raise-teachers-pay-uhuru-says

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Kill corruption and the money is very much there to pay the teacher.  Oodles of it.  With this approach they can also improve the conditions of the police while at it.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
A very dangerous move. To directly say that he cant obey a court order is unpredecented. He's not above the law, but who is going to do anything?
The court can impose sanctions such as penalty for non compliance. But the most important is the legislature where impeachment process can begin for disobeying a court order. But that is where DEADWOOD lie. Even if he did not agree with it, there are other ways....

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
I agree with Parkerpen. Gov should approach this soberly. They don't have to pay a dime...but they need to follow the law to do so.Gov need to wriggle their way out of KNUT madness...by determining the amount each student or pupil deserves as pupil spending..and sending them to school of their parent choosing. This will allow private schools to thrive...which delivers quality education. Teachers will then be paid based on the number of students they attract.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Its rudely put but I don't think the trade union has full use of its senses either. My contractual obligations preclude an opinionated post. Soon......
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Online Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
How many teachers would the officialy announced amount 791M Ksh stolen from the NYS be able to pay?
I wonder what the real amount will be in the end of the "investigations".

Kill corruption and the money is very much there to pay the teacher.  Oodles of it.  With this approach they can also improve the conditions of the police while at it.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
How many teachers would the officialy announced amount 791M Ksh stolen from the NYS be able to pay?
I wonder what the real amount will be in the end of the "investigations".

Waiguru should "step aside" and "facilitate investigations".  She claims she's the innocent whistleblower.  Investigations are needed to establish that claim.  How that kind of money disappeared without her knowledge.  Maybe she is incompetent.  Unfit for the job.

In 2010 Kenya was losing a third of its budget to corruption according this report http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-11913876.  I don't know how much they are losing now.  But I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than what teachers are demanding.  Imagine the benefits of putting some of that money in teachers hands.  Once they settle down, they become an engine for economic growth.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
I am glad pundit is now 100% with me on the financing of education in Kenya. The current discrimination against students attending private schools by the government must end. Tax payer funds should be distributed equitably to follow a student wherever s/he chooses to learn. All subsidies to public schools including teacher pay and allowances must be granted to private schools. Of course the government could insist on affordable fees and access for all students regardless of parents' income levels.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread